This gluten-free Apple Crumble Breakfast Parfait tastes like dessert for breakfast, but it’s a healthy option to start your day.
One of the things I look forward to most about spending time on the ocean on our boat is the breakfasts we have.
Don’t get me wrong. There are a hundred things I love about being out in the Gulf Islands, but breakfast time is always special. We have a little automatic coffee maker that we set the night before. We can reach the “on” button without even getting out from underneath our duvet. Once it’s ready, we venture outside to watch the morning activities: herons and kingfishers busy feeding, raccoons digging for clams and rowboats heading to shore with anxious dogs perched on their bows, ready to jump off and relieve themselves.
Granola, yogurt and fruit. That’s our breakfast. It’s just so handy. No cooking required, I always have a batch of granola on hand, and fruit and yogurt are easy to pack. This gluten-free Apple Crumble Breakfast Parfait will be tucked away in the tiny fridge on our boat this weekend when we head out to enjoy the last few sunny days of the month. A breakfast of layered caramelized apples, crunchy Apple Cinnamon Granola and creamy yogurt almost seems like an apple crumble dessert, but with only a bit of added sweetener, this breakfast parfait is guilt-free.
I have a few granola recipes here on the blog, but at this time of year, Apple Cinnamon Granola is my favourite. You can make it totally gluten-free by using certified gluten-free oats, if necessary. You can also make this breakfast parfait vegan by substituting coconut yogurt for the Greek yogurt.
This gluten-free Apple Crumble Breakfast Parfait is ideal for busy workday mornings, too. Making breakfasts like this one or Overnight Oats the night before was always a lifesaver when I was teaching and found myself rushing out the door to get my classroom ready for the little people who would soon be arriving. Starting the day with a healthy wholesome breakfast provides that power we all need to make it through . . . to lunch!
- 1 apple, cored and chopped (peeling is optional)
- 1 tsp butter or oil
- 1 tsp coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup apple cinnamon granola
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt for vegan diets)
Heat a small skillet and add butter or oil.
- Saute chopped apple pieces for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir to coat. Remove from heat and cool.
- Layer ingredients in jar or glass. Begin with a layer of apples to completely cover the bottom of the jar, then add half the granola, the yogurt, another layer of apples and finish with more granola on top.
- Either enjoy right away or cover and refrigerate. Will stay crisp overnight.
Looking for more healthy breakfast ideas?