This succulent Grilled Chili Lime Shrimp with Fresh Salsa is easy to make. Just slice an avocado, top with fresh salsa, and add some grilled chili lime shrimp or prawns. Paleo.
This Chili Lime Shrimp appetizer is SO good and SO simple to prepare. If you make fresh salsa in advance, you can assemble this appetizer quickly just before serving. Or to make it even easier, use store-bought fresh salsa or pico de gallo from your deli. Then all you have to do is slice an avocado, top it with a scoop of fresh salsa and add grilled chili lime shrimp or prawns.
The older I get, the less I know.
But I learned a lot today. Mostly I learned that there is a LOT that I don’t know about fishing boats. I spent the morning wandering the docks with the cutest little 3-year-old boy imaginable, attempting to answer his constant “Why?” questions. You’ve been there, amiright? I don’t know all the different types of fishing boats. I’m not exactly sure what all the different traps are for. I don’t know what “that red thing” is.
He finally gave up on me and kept himself amused by mentally sorting the boats into those “who look after their boat” and “those who don’t look after their boat” based on the amount of bottom growth on their hulls.
It was a humbling experience not being able to answer his questions. But afterward, I stopped in at the local seafood store to pick up some local spot prawns and I was back in my comfort zone, in a shop full of sustainable, locally-caught salmon, cod, crabs, mussels, shrimp, and prawns, dreaming up recipes to create and share with you! I do know how to clean and debeard mussels, the best method for shelling prawns, and the most efficient way to remove the pin bones from salmon.As I was making this grilled Chili Lime Shrimp with Fresh Salsa appetizer, I realized that it was slightly similar to my Bacon-Wrapped Prawn Crostini that I posted in the summer, but this one is gluten-free. Mild and creamy avocado contrasts perfectly with piquant salsa and spicy shrimp.
And now I’m off to google seine boats and trollers so I’ll be prepared to answer all those tough questions next time. Did I mention he’s only three?
3 Steps to Make Chili Lime Shrimp with Fresh Salsa
- Chop and combine ingredients for salsa (or use store-bought)
- Slice avocado and arrange on plates.
- Top with salsa and grilled shrimp and serve.
Chili Lime Shrimp with Fresh Salsa
Fresh Salsa Ingredients
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion (red or white)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- juice of 1/2 lime
- sea salt, to taste
Chili Lime Shrimp Ingredients
- 12 large shrimp or prawns
- 2 tsp oil or butter
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 avocados
- Prepare the fresh salsa by chopping and combining all salsa ingredients (or pulse in a food processor, being careful not to overprocess)
- Halve the avocados, remove the flesh, carefully slice and fan out on each of 4 small plates.
- Top each with 1/4 cup of fresh salsa.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add shrimp, chili flakes and lime juice. Cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are no longer transparent. Remove and arrange on top of the fresh salsa and serve.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.