These Chipotle Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes have rich Tex-Mex flavors of chipotle, chorizo, black beans, corn and tomatoes, stuffed in a healthy loaded sweet potato.
We've been eating these Chipotle Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes on repeat all month!
I have a new favourite chili recipe! After years of making chili one way and one way only, I've branched out and I'm so glad I did. Chipotle Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are a great way to combine chili with a wholesome potato.
At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I have to admit that I found myself saying, "I could eat this all night!" during dinner. These loaded sweet potatoes are just that good.
If you've followed this blog for a while, you'll know that I love all things chipotle, like my favourite Chipotle Honey-Mustard Glazed Chicken Wings or this Chipotle Peach Glazed Chicken and especially these Smoky Chipotle Honey-Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs. Chipotle mayo? Oh yes, please. I love that hot smoky flavour on pretty much anything.
My suspicion that a spicy chipotle chili would pair well with the mild flavour of sweet potatoes was right. I kept the Tex-Mex theme intact, and used black beans and corn in this chili recipe. Squeezing a little lime juice on top gave the acidity needed to enhance the flavour even more.
These loaded chili loaded sweet potatoes make an easy weeknight meal!
These Chipotle Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are rich in fiber and protein
But they're low in fat (unless you pile on a high-fat cheese!) Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotene, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and potassium. The cheese on top is optional, as is the cilantro. Sprinkle with a little parsley instead if you don't care for cilantro. Add some sliced avocado and dig in!
Try these healthy sweet potato recipes, too!
- Smoky Sweet Potato Wedges
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Soup
- Roasted Sweet Potato Spinach Salad with Maple Walnuts and Bacon
- Sweet Potato Frittata with Fresh Salsa
- Baby Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Garlic Herb Butter
- Make Ahead Duchess Sweet Potatoes
Chipotle Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 links chorizo sausage casing removed
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes with liquid (796 ml)
- 1 14-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed, (396 ml)
- 2 oz chipotle peppers from a 7 oz. (200 ml) can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce finely chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels fresh or froze
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- fresh lime for squeezing on top
- fresh cilantro or parsley, grated cheese, avocado for garnish (optional)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes or 8 small
- Heat a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. When hot, add the onion, pepper and celery and cook for 5 - 10 minutes or until transparent.
- Add the garlic cloves and the chorizo sausage. Cook and stir until browned and crumbly.
- Add the can of tomatoes with liquid, drained and rinsed black beans, chopped chipotle peppers and corn.
- Season with chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Let simmer on the stove while you cook the sweet potatoes.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Scrub the sweet potatoes under running water, but don't peel. Pierce with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 35 - 45 minutes or until fork tender (depending on the size of the sweet potatoes.)
- Remove from oven, slice larger ones in half (or just split the smaller ones), score the flesh to loosen it slightly from the skin and top with the Chipotle Chili. Garnish with cheese, cilantro or parsley and offer lime slices for squeezing on top. Serve immediately.
Leave a comment