Looking for a change from your regular taco recipe? Learn how to make tostadas instead. Try these Chipotle Peach Shrimp Tostadas!
Switch up your taco night with these Chipotle Peach Shrimp Tostadas and learn how to make tostadas!
Spicy guacamole, knock-your-socks-off shrimp and fresh sweet mango salsa all on a crispy tortilla–let’s have Mexican night every night!
What's a tostada?
Tostada means "toasted" in Spanish. Tostadas are popular Mexican street food. No wonder they're so well-loved: they're a healthy casual meal that's fun to eat and fun to make, too.
Tostadas begin with a crispy base made with a toasted corn tortilla. This foundation is spread with something delicious and creamy that will help hold the remaining ingredients in place, like refried beans or guacamole. Diced and fried meat or seafood is next, followed by toppings to enhance the meat, like cheese, sour cream, lettuce and tomato, and salsa.
But the best thing about tostadas? NO RULES!
You can add what you like and leave out what you don't! Create your own combinations, but to help your tostadas be your version of deliciousness, follow some simple guidelines.
How to Make Tostadas
Begin by preparing all your ingredients and have them laid out, ready to assemble. You're going to want to devour these while they're hot and fresh. Set up a cooling rack over paper towel near your stove.
You have two options for frying the tortillas, depending on how much oil you want to use:
- Heat 1/4 inch of oil (use one with a high smoke point) in a skillet over medium heat. Check to make sure it is hot enough by dropping in a small piece of tortilla. If it bubbles up, you're ready to go. Using tongs, fry one tortilla at a time for 30 seconds or until lightly browned and bubbly, then turn and cook on the other side. Remove from the oil and drain on the cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Deep frying will produce a crisper tostada. If you don't want to use the amount of oil that deep frying requires, just fry each tortilla in a hot skillet with about 1/2 teaspoon of oil. They won't turn out quite as crispy but if you cook them long enough, they will be sturdy enough to support the toppings.
Now assemble the three layers:
- something to spread (usually refried beans or guacamole)
- some protein, like diced or ground beef, chicken, or shrimp or other seafood
- toppings, like salsa, or cheese, sour cream, avocado, pickled jalapeños, lettuce and tomato.
Let's make some!
Ingredients for Chipotle Peach Shrimp Tostadas
You will need:
- wild-caught large shrimp
- peach-chipotle glaze (recipe below)
- guacamole (recipe below)
- mango salsa (recipe below)
- corn tortillas
- lime and cilantro for garnish
How to Make Chipotle Peach Shrimp Tostadas
Start by toasting the tortillas. I used a 1/2 teaspoon of oil in a skillet and fried them one at a time, flipping them over after 2 minutes or so.
Spread the toasted tortillas with homemade guacamole--fresh jalapeño guacamole. It has a bit of a bite to it which I like, but you can leave out the jalapeño if you like.
Next add some grilled shrimp, but again, not just any grilled shrimp! Use this sweet and spicy chipotle-peach glaze that I used in this recipe for Easy Chipotle Peach Glazed Chicken and brush the shrimp with it as they sizzle on the grill.
Then, to cool things off and make sure these Chipotle Peach Shrimp Tostadas have a perfect balance of flavours, add some refreshing sweet and crunchy mango salsa.
And finally, garnish with a few slices of lime and these Chipotle Peach Shrimp Tostadas will be ready to devour!
Looking at the recipe below, it seems like it would be complicated and time-consuming, but really, it's not. Mix the chipotle-peach glaze in a blender, then mash and mix the guacamole ingredients with a fork. Probably the most time-consuming part is chopping the ingredients for the salsa, and that only takes about 5 minutes.
Enjoy your Mexican night with Chipotle Peach Shrimp Tostadas!
Chipotle Peach Shrimp Tostadas with Mango Salsa
- 24 large wild shrimp peeled
- 6 corn tortillas soft 6-inch diameter
Chipotle Peach Glaze
- 1/2 cup peach slices fresh or frozen and thawed
- 3/4 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- zest of half a lime
- 1 avocado peeled and seeded
- 1 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 medium jalapeño finely minced
- 1 mango peeled and finely diced or 3/4 cup frozen mango cubes
- 1/4 cup cucumber finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp cilantro minced
- 2 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp lime zest
Chipotle Peach Glaze
- Put glaze ingredients in a food processor blender and process until smooth.
- Mash avocado with a fork and stir in remaining ingredients
- Soak wooden skewers in water for at least an hour, then skewer 4 shrimp on each one.
- Grill shrimp on indoor grill pan (or outdoor grill) for 2 minutes on each side, brushing with Chipotle Peach Glaze. Remove from grill when they are no longer translucent. Avoid overcooking. Shrimp become rubbery very quickly if overcooked.
- Finely chop all ingredients and combine in a medium bowl.
- Fry tortillas in a skillet with 1/2 tsp oil, one at a time. Spread with jalapeño guacamole, add grilled shrimp and top with mango salsa. Garnish with lime slices or cilantro leaves and serve right away.
Love Tex-Mex flavours? Try these:
- Shrimp Tacos with Tomatillo Guacamole and Cilantro Lime Slaw
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Pineapple Rhubarb Salsa
- Halibut Tacos with Tequila Lime Marinade
And if you love chipotle flavours: try these recipes, too.
- Avocado Grilled Peach and Chipotle Shrimp Salad with Bacon
- Chipotle Chicken Cobb Salad with Peaches
- Chipotle Peach Shrimp Tostadas with Mango Salsa
- Chipotle Chicken Burgers with Fresh Peach Salsa
Kitchen Items I used to make these Chipotle Peach Shrimp Tostadas
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.