These Chocolate Coconut Snowballs are easy, scrumptious, can be made well ahead of your next gathering, and provide an option for guests who are avoiding gluten or dairy.
They're a no-guilt indulgence! The base is made without refined sugar and simply consists of coconut, coconut oil, flavouring and honey.
They are simply a redesign of the yummy Chocolate Coconut Pops I make for Hallowe'en.
coconut: finely ground, unsweetened coconut is a must for this recipe. If you use long shred coconut, these little balls will just fall apart.
coconut oil: also a must for this recipe as it hardens at room temperature. You'll also use a couple of teaspoons in the chocolate coating.
honey: or maple syrup, your choice
flavouring: pure almond extract or vanilla extract
dark chocolate: you can use chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
A food processor works very well for this recipe. You want the coconut to be finely ground so the balls stick together.
Mix the ingredients in a food processor until well combined.
Roll small balls of the mixture in the palm of your hand, and place them on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Chill them thoroughly in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt dark chocolate or chocolate chips in a glass bowl over simmering water on the stovetop, or in a glass bowl in the microwave, checking at 15-second intervals. Stir in 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
If you don't want to roll the balls, you can make tiny bites in mini muffin cups instead. Simply press a ball of the coconut mixture into a muffin cup, chill thoroughly, then top with a layer of melted chocolate.
Chocolate Coconut Snowballs--Gluten-free and Dairy-free
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, finely ground
- ¼ cup honey, or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate, (8 oz) for coating
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- Whir coconut in a blender or food processor until very finely ground.
- Add honey, coconut oil, and extract.
- Process until well mixed.
- Remove from processor bowl and roll 1 inch diameter balls in your hands.
- Melt chocolate over (not in) simmering water, Remove from heat and stir in coconut oil.
- Dip the chilled balls in the melted chocolate using two forks. Let the excess chocolate drip off, then place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Store in the refrigerator.