These gluten-free Chocolate Dipped Crispy Coconut Cookies are coated and drizzled with a thin layer of dark chocolate. Make ahead and freeze for unexpected company.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
If your family is anything like mine, baking cookies is one of your holiday traditions. From the time our kids were old enough to peek over the edge of the countertop, we decorated gingerbread, rolled shortbread, and licked the bowl after making turtle squares. When the kids were young, the highlight of our tree-trimming time was getting to sample the holiday cookies and bars that we’d been busy preparing in the days before.
But following a gluten-free diet gets in the way of enjoying those old favourites like shortbread, butter tarts and zebra cookies. It can be frustrating to have to give up old habits and search for new recipes to replace them.
I hope that the gluten-free cookies and bars and sweet treat recipes I’ve posted on this site will help you out. These gluten-free Crispy Salted Coconut Cookies entered the scene last year and were snapped up by all, whether they were avoiding gluten or not. This year I decided they deserved a little dressing up with chocolate because, why not? Everything is better with chocolate in my world.
4 Easy Steps to make these Chocolate Dipped Crispy Coconut Cookies
Chocolate Dipped Crispy Coconut Cookies
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 large egg or 2 medium
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 8 oz . dark chocolate melted
- Heat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add the coconut. Mix well by hand until the coconut is well coated with the butter.
- Beat the eggs with a mixer on medium speed just until blended. Add the sugar and beat on medium-high until the mixture is light-colored and fluffy. Combine the butter-covered coconut gently with the egg mixture and mix well.
- Drop the batter by small spoonfuls about 1 1/2 inches apart on to the parchment-covered baking sheets and press down evenly to flatten.. Bake for 7-10 minutes until golden. Watch carefully as they will burn quickly.
- Remove from the oven and slide the sheet of parchment paper with the cookies to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, melt 7 ounces of the chocolate over (not in) simmering water. Remove from heat, stir to cool briefly, then stir in the remaining ounce of chocolate until completely melted. This will help prevent "chocolate bloom" and white streaks developing in the finished product.
- When cookies are completely cool, hold each one with tongs and quickly dip the bottoms in melted chocolate to coat thinly. Transfer to a parchment-paper lined sheet. Use a frosting decorating bag (or a ziplock bag with a tiny corner removed) to drizzle chocolate on top of the cookies. Store in refrigerator or freezer.