This gluten-free, paleo banana bread is the ultimate comfort food! This Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread is gluten-free, paleo and has no added sweetener. Swirled with dark chocolate and studded with raspberries, it's comfort food at its finest!
Is there anything more comforting than the smell of banana bread? It is one of the most comforting aromas I can think of. Who doesn't love a thick slice of warm banana bread fresh from the oven?
It's such a versatile quick bread too, as it pairs well with a host of other ingredients: fruit like blueberries and strawberries, vegetables like carrots or zucchini, nuts, coconut, peanut butter, or as in the one I made today: chocolate and raspberries.
Even though Spring is within reach now, we've had more rain and clouds than sunshine lately and we needed some comfort food like banana bread. Chocolate Swirl banana bread. I had a slice of this with my coffee and watched the creek in my backyard overflow its banks.
Adding chocolate and raspberries makes this grain-free banana bread absolutely delicious!
- 3 - 4 ripe bananas
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- almond butter
- melted coconut oil, or butter
- pure vanilla extract
- almond flour, finely ground
- ground cinnamon
- baking soda
- baking powder
- sea salt
- quality dark chocolate, melted
- raspberries, fresh or thawed
You'll notice that it has absolutely no added sweetener: no sugar, no honey, no maple syrup. Just the sweet natural goodness of ripe bananas (and swirls of dark chocolate, of course!)
This gluten-free banana bread rises beautifully and holds its shape. It's moist and is full of sweet and tart surprises from the dark chocolate and the raspberries.
See complete instructions in the recipe card below.
This is an easy recipe to make so it's perfect even for a beginning cook.
I use my food processor for the whole recipe, combining the wet ingredients first, then adding the dry ingredients and swirling the chocolate and raspberries at the end before popping it in the oven to bake.
More grain-free quick bread recipes
Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread with Raspberries
- 2 ½ cups mashed banana, (3 ½ - 4 very ripe bananas)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil, or butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour, finely ground
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup quality dark chocolate, melted
- ½ cup raspberries, fresh or thawed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line an 8.5" by 4.5" (or similar size) loaf pan with parchment paper, or grease it with coconut oil.
- Combine bananas, eggs, almond butter, melted coconut oil (or butter) and vanilla in a food processor or large bowl.
- Once blended, add the almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt and mix well.
- Pour ⅓ of the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with half the raspberries and drizzle with half the chocolate. Swirl gently once or twice with a knife. Cover with ⅓ more of the batter and again add the remaining raspberries and chocolate and swirl. Top with the remaining third of the batter. Only fill the loaf pan ¾ full. If there seems to be too much batter, fill one or two greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake loaf for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Check temperature with an instant-read thermometer. It should read 200°F to 205°F in the center of the loaf. (Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack. Slice and serve when completely cool.