This Cranberry Lemon and Pear relish is raw, fresh and has a bright, zesty flavour. It’s a delicious alternative to traditional cranberry sauce.
Looking for an alternative to Cranberry Sauce? This Cranberry, Lemon and Pear Relish might become one of your new favourite holiday side dishes!
Did you know that some people don’t like cranberry sauce? I know. It’s hard to imagine, but it’s true. In my quest to introduce new dishes like this Brussel Sprout Salad with Cranberries and Pecans into my holiday meals, this year I’ll be serving this Cranberry, Lemon and Pear Relish instead of traditional cranberry sauce. It’s raw, it’s fresh and my family loves it’s bright, peppy flavour.
During my morning walks lately, I’ve tried to practice mindfulness by focusing on the sights, sounds and smells around me in this beautiful area in which I live. Okay, okay, I’m usually plugged in to a podcast when I walk, but today I was very aware of the intense fall colours and smells, like the salt air from the ocean, a chicken coop, musty blackberry bushes, and frying onions wafting from a cottage by the sea.
It got me thinking about how much more we enjoy food when we’re mindful of what we’re eating. Sometimes at the end of a holiday meal, I’m so focused on making sure everyone has everything they need that I discover that I have not truly tasted anything. I’ve been on auto-pilot throughout the meal, consuming, but not enjoying.
This Cranberry Lemon and Pear Relish demands mindfulness. It’s a little crunchy, a little tart, and a little sweet. It’s guaranteed to wake up your senses and demand that you enjoy every bite . . . . and every moment of the time you’re spending with those around your table.
Here’s what you’ll need.
Ingredients for Cranberry Lemon and Pear Relish
- cranberries: fresh or frozen
- pears: use a firm pear, like Anjou, Bosc
- lemon: use an organic lemon, as you’ll be using the peel, too.
- sea salt
How to Make Cranberry Relish
- Pulse the cranberry, lemon and pear in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the honey, sugar and salt.
How to Store
Cover and refrigerate. You can make this up to 3 days before serving, as the lemon prevents the pears from turning brown.
Serve wherever you would serve cranberry sauce, or as a side dish for chicken or salmon dishes! Enjoy.
Cranberry Lemon and Pear Relish
- 16 oz cranberries fresh or frozen
- 2 medium pears firm variety, like Green or Red Anjou or Bosc
- 1 organic lemon quartered and seeded, but not peeled
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pulse the cranberries, pears and lemon in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Transfer to a large bowl and gently stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate. This can be made up to 3 days before serving as the lemon prevents the pears from turning brown.
Try these other cranberry recipes, too!
- Spice Cranberry Orange Sauce with Triple Sec
- Cranberry Rosemary Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Cranberry Glazed Chili Chicken Wings
- Gluten Free Cranberry Lemon Oatmeal Bars
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.