Other than “Dos cervezas, por favor”, that’s about the extent of my Spanish vocabulary. But all that is about to change, as I’ve decided to learn to speak, or at least understand Spanish. Thanks to some very generous local teachers who are willing to give their time to help, Denis and I have joined a small Spanish group. We meet once a week and dutifully practice our lessons in between. It has been more fun than I ever imagined and we are indebted to our leaders! Learning to roll my “r’s” is something that I’m really going to have to work on, however. Any tips? All suggestions for how to learn that are welcome!
So let’s get in the mood with this richly flavoured Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup. No “r” rolling in that! This is such an easy meal to prepare: 10 minutes to throw it all together and a choice of how long you would like to leave it in your slow cooker — 4 hours on high, or 6 – 8 hours on low. It is as flavourful as it is colourful and you can control the heat according to your family’s preferences by choosing a mild or hot enchilada sauce. Black beans and kidney beans provide an excellent source of protein, iron, magnesium, folic acid and fiber making this a nutrient-rich dinner.
I abandoned mine for years because I worried about raw chicken sitting at low temperatures for a long period. Since doing more research, however, I’m convinced that those fears were unfounded. The concern is that bacteria that cause food poisoning thrive and multiply rapidly at room temperature and up to 140F. A slow cooker, however, is designed to cook foods between 170F and 280F, well above the danger range. Moist foods, like soups and stews, are ideal to cook this way, as the steam from the liquid will destroy potential bacteria.
I have adapted this recipe from Ali’s recipe on her fabulous blog, GimmeSomeOven. I used corn that I had frozen this summer, and substituted a can of kidney beans for one of the cans of black beans in her recipe. I also added larger cans of beans and diced tomatoes, increasing the bean to meat ratio. Enjoy. ¡Hasta pronto!
A richly flavored, colorful chicken enchilada soup that takes only 10 minutes to prepare. Cook it in your slow cooker and have dinner ready when you come home.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 4-6 boneless chicken thighs</span>
- 2 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 796 ml can black beans (28 oz.), drained and rinsed
- 1 796 ml can kidney beans (28 oz,.) drained and rinsed</span>
- 1 120 ml can chopped green chilies (4 oz)
- 1 296 ml can enchilada sauce (10 oz)
- 1 796 ml can red pepper spicy diced tomatoes with juice (28 oz)
- 1 cup corn kernels, canned or frozen
- 1 white onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Put all ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 4 hours.
- When done, use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Garnish with your choice of chopped cilantro, tortilla chips, avocado slices and/or sour cream.
Keep it dairy-free by eliminating the optional sour cream garnish.
You might also like these soups:
Tomato Soup with Basil and Bacon
Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Orange
Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Spiced Pumpkin Seeds