Cool cucumbers, fennel and baby red onions create a simple salad, tossed together with a tangy yogurt (and oil-free) dressing.
This cucumber-fennel salad combines thinly sliced fennel and red onions, tossed with a herbed yogurt dressing. It's a perfect complement to a spicy meal.
With a never-ending supply of cucumbers from my garden (oh . . . such a terrible problem to have) this salad seemed like the perfect complement to our recent dinner of Pad Thai. The heat from the peppers in the Pad Thai begs to be cooled down with something, well, as cool as a cucumber. Fresh from the garden, these cucumbers are crispy and sweet. Fennel and baby red onions that I found at our local farmer's market created a mouthful of contrasting flavours, all wrapped up together in a tangy yogurt (and oil-free) dressing.
This recipe was slightly adapted from Food & Wine Magazine August 2013.
Cucumber-Fennel Salad with Herbed Yogurt Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 long English cucumbers—halved lengthwise seeded and thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1 small fennel bulb or half a large one—halved lengthwise cored and very thinly sliced
- 3 small celery ribs thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
- In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt with the vinegar, parsley and chives.
- Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Gently fold in the sliced cucumbers, fennel, celery and red onion.
- Serve chilled.