Relax and enjoy summer weather with these easy make-ahead meals of juicy chicken fajitas in foil packets.
Chicken Fajitas! We all love them, and now these Chicken Fajitas in foil packets make it easy to enjoy them more often.
Grilling season is here! It’s time for cook-outs, camp-outs, deck and barbecue parties with friends. It’s also time to simply enjoy easy-to prepare meals with your family around a picnic table.
Hot dogs and hamburgers: step aside! These Chicken Fajitas in foil packets are an ideal way to serve a nutritious meal to your family and get in the swing of easy summer living at the same time.
Make ahead of time!
Here’s a bonus. These foil packs can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you’re ready to put them on the grill.
I’m planning to make these for our summer boat camping trips. With dinner prepared and packed up in neat and tidy foil packets, we’ll have time to enjoy being outdoors instead of spending time making meals.
How to make Chicken Fajitas in Foil Packets
First, slice bell peppers (one red, one orange and one yellow) and red onions.
Next, slice boneless, skinless chicken breasts and sprinkle with homemade taco seasoning mix.
Arrange with peppers and onions on a square of heavy-duty foil (lined with parchment paper if you don’t like your food touching foil).
Drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil, sprinkle the peppers with a little smoked paprika if you like, add a squeeze of lime juice and wrap them up!
Fold foil loosely over chicken securing ends, but allow a little space for heat to circulate. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
Cook the packets on the grill (they’ll only take 20 – 25 minutes), open them and load them up with all your favourite fajita fixings — tomatoes, avocados or guacamole, sour cream, fresh pico de gallo and cilantro.
Pass the forks, serve with plenty of tortilla chips and dig in!
Easy Chicken Fajitas in Foil Packets
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning mix, or more
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers, 1 each of red, yellow and orange, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, (optional)
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 avocados
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup light sour cream , or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 oz (50 gm) tortilla chips , for garnish
- Cut four squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil, about 16 inches square.
- Lay out on your counter and top each with a 16-inch square of parchment paper (optional)
- Slice chicken breasts crosswise into thin strips. Sprinkle each with up to 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning mix. Place one breast on each of the foil/parchment paper squares.
- Divide peppers and onions evenly and arrange beside each of the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the peppers with 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, if desired. Drizzle the chicken and peppers with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Squeeze a little lime juice on each.
- Fold foil loosely over chicken securing ends, but allowing a little space for heat to circulate. Refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Grill over medium heat, checking for doneness after 20 minutes.