Use your leftover turkey in this quick and easy, light and healthy recipe for Leftover Turkey White Bean Chili.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Leftover turkey has usually been loved in one way in our home: in hot turkey sandwiches. Who doesn’t love leftover turkey, mayo, cranberry, and stuffing packed between two slices of bread and smothered with gravy? But if you’re looking for a healthy, gluten-free alternative to that favourite sandwich, you might want to try this easy Leftover Turkey White Bean Chili.
This chili is a light one-pot way to use your leftover turkey. It’s rich in fiber, and it makes a quick weeknight meal. Until I made this white bean chili, I had never tried chili that wasn’t tomato-based. Chipotle-Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes is a favourite hearty meal that we love in fall and winter, but this turkey white bean chili was a delicious change.
Being tomato-free means there is more room to add fiber-rich greens into this white bean chili. Kale is a perfect choice for this dish, as it is sturdy enough to stand up to simmering. While testing this recipe, I tried it with spinach and baby kale, but they wilted too quickly and made the dish look less than appealing!
This Leftover Turkey White Bean Chili is comfort food, without the fat. It’s cheap, it’s nutritious, and it’s easy to adapt to your family’s tastes. Add more chili powder if you like more heat and offer hot sauce for drizzling.
White beans (white kidney beans, cannellini, great white northern) are an excellent source of fiber. Adding fiber to your diet can improve digestion, regulate blood sugar and help lower cholesterol. Beans are also a good source of protein and iron. They can also give you that full feeling, without relying on fat to feel satiated.
So, have that hot turkey sandwich if you like, but save some of that leftover turkey for this healthy bowl of chili!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- 4 green onions chopped (save green parts for garnish)
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped kale
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz . BPA free can cannellini rinsed and drained or great northern beans
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked diced leftover turkey
- hot sauce if desired like Sriracha
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, jalapeño, white parts of green onions, and kale and cook, stirring until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth, beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt and stir until heated.
- Add diced turkey and simmer gently until heated through, 2-3 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with green onions. Add hot sauce if desired.