Look no further for a healthy dinner-in-a-bowl than this Southwestern Fiesta Baked Chicken Bowl. It’s made with lean taco-seasoned chicken breasts and a fresh seasonal chopped salad.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This Fiesta Baked Chicken Bowl is bursting with our favourite flavours of the American Southwest. Spicy lean chicken and smoky roasted corn pair up with a simple salad made with black beans, peppers, charred corn, cilantro and lime. I added sliced heirloom tomatoes and avocado to the bowl for a refreshing contrast.
I’m a firm believer in keeping the tradition of daily family dinners alive. Gathering around a table to eat together, sharing the highs and lows of our days, solving family (and world) problems is a special time, not to be missed. When my kids were young, we maintained our commitment to daily dinner time, no matter what their extra-curricular schedules demanded.
Now that my kids are grown, I still believe in gathering together for dinner, and I know that they follow this tradition with their own children. But me? Ha! I’ve done my duty. I raised my children to believe in family values. And now? Give me a bowl of delicious healthy food, a sunny lawn chaise on the deck or a comfy couch in front of a good Netflix offering and I’m good to go.
This Southwestern Fiesta Baked Chicken Bowl fits perfectly with our new relaxed lifestyle. It’s full of lean protein, fresh seasonal veggies and a zippy lime dressing. It can be put together in less than 30 minutes and it doesn’t even need the inconvenience of a knife! Perfect couch food.
And speaking of Netflix, I could use some recommendations for new series to watch. We’ve worked our way through several documentaries and House of Cards, Suits, Grace and Frankie, Scandal, and part-way through Breaking Bad (which I had to stop watching as it was way too disturbing for me . . . not that Scandal wasn’t). Any suggestions?
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 - 3 tbsp taco seasoning mix, homemade or store-bought
- 1 14- oz can black beans, rinsed and drained, 398 ml
- 2 bell peppers, 1 red, 1 orange, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels, charred (or use frozen or canned if fresh is not available)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes, heirloom if available
- 1/2 large avocado sliced
- 1/2 fresh lime for garnish
- Heat oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl or zipper bag, brush chicken breasts with 2 teaspoons oil and toss with taco seasoning. Brush the bottom of a baking dish with the remaining teaspoon of oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until internal temperature measured with a meat thermometer reaches 165°F.
- While the chicken is cooking, Lightly char fresh corn kernels on a dry, pre-heated flat-top grill (or in a dry skillet), just until they begin to turn brown. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine black beans, peppers, onion, jalapeño and charred corn.
- Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together and stir into salad ingredients.
- Arrange in a bowl. Add tomatoes, avocado, and sliced baked chicken breasts. Garnish with fresh lime for squeezing and serve.