Look no further for a healthy dinner-in-a-bowl than this Southwestern Fiesta Baked Chicken Bowl. This chicken burrito bowl is made with lean taco-seasoned chicken breasts and a fresh seasonal corn and bean chopped salad.
This Fiesta Baked Chicken Bowl is bursting with our favourite flavours of the American Southwest! Spicy lean chicken and smoky roasted corn pair up with a simple salad made with black beans, peppers, charred corn, cilantro and lime. I added sliced heirloom tomatoes and avocado to this chicken burrito bowl for a refreshing contrast.
I'm a firm believer in keeping the tradition of daily family dinners alive. Gathering around a table to eat together, sharing the highs and lows of our days, solving family (and world) problems is a special time, not to be missed. When my kids were young, we maintained our commitment to daily dinner time, no matter what their extra-curricular schedules demanded.
Now that my kids are grown, I still believe in gathering together for dinner, and I know that they follow this tradition with their own children. But me? I've done my duty. I raised my children to believe in family values. And now?
Give me a bowl of delicious healthy food, a sunny lawn chaise on the deck or a comfy couch in front of a good Netflix offering and I'm good to go.
This Southwestern Fiesta Baked Chicken Bowl fits perfectly with our new relaxed lifestyle. It's full of lean protein, fresh seasonal veggies and a zippy lime dressing. It can be put together in less than 30 minutes and it doesn't even need the inconvenience of a knife! Perfect lap food!
Ready to make a healthy dinner-in-a-bowl? Here's what you'll need:
Ingredients for Southwest Chicken Burrito Bowl
chicken breasts: boneless, skinless
taco seasoning mix: homemade or store-bought
black beans: canned
corn: fresh is best, but you can substitute canned or frozen (thawed)
bell peppers: red and orange
red onion: adds zesty flavour
jalapeño pepper: for Southwestern heat
dressing: olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, honey, salt and pepper
Here's a quick overview of what you'll do to make this easy chicken dinner. You'll find complete directions in the recipe card below.
Brush the chicken breasts with a little and toss with taco seasoning. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
While the chicken is cooking, lightly char fresh corn kernels either in a flat-top grill or in a dry skillet, just until they begin to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
Combine black beans, peppers, onion, jalapeño and charred corn and toss with the dressing.
Once the chicken is done, arrange the salad in a bowl, add cherry tomatoes, avocado slices or cubes and sliced chicken breasts. Serve with fresh lime quarters for an extra boost of flavour!
Southwestern Fiesta Baked Chicken Bowl
- 2 chicken breasts skinless, boneless
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 - 3 tbsp taco seasoning mix, homemade or store-bought
- 1 14- oz can black beans, rinsed and drained, 398 ml
- 2 bell peppers, 1 red, 1 orange, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels, charred (or use frozen or canned if fresh is not available)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced, use heirloom tomatoes if available
- 1/2 large avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 med fresh lime, for garnish
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/3 cup lime juice fresh
- 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl or zipper bag, brush chicken breasts with 2 teaspoons oil and toss with taco seasoning. Brush the bottom of a baking dish with the remaining teaspoon of oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until internal temperature measured with a meat thermometer reaches 165°F.
- While the chicken is cooking, Lightly char fresh corn kernels on a dry, pre-heated flat-top grill (or in a dry skillet), just until they begin to turn brown. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine black beans, peppers, onion, jalapeño and charred corn.
- Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together and stir into salad ingredients.
- Arrange in a bowl. Add tomatoes, avocado, and sliced baked chicken breasts. Garnish with fresh lime for squeezing and serve.
More Meal-in-a-Bowl Ideas
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking toAmazon.com and affiliated sites.