This fresh burrito bowl is a complete meal in a bowl. Fresh crunchy vegetables, quinoa, black beans and optional chicken drizzled with a zesty avocado cream bring all the flavours of the Southwest to your weeknight dinner table.
Is there anyone who starts seeking inspiration for dinner ideas at 5 p.m. (or what I used to call "the crying hour")?
Nope. We all want to be w-a-a-ay beyond that stage when we're hungry. This Fresh Burrito Bowl is a quick meal that you can easily customize to your liking by swapping in or deleting some ingredients.
Don't like quinoa? Use rice instead. Like meat? Add some chicken. Choose your sauce to top it off, or make both the Chipotle Crema and the Avocado Crema and offer a choice. Want it dairy-free? Choose the Avocado Crema instead.
It's also a meal you can prepare the night before. Just have all the fresh ingredients chopped and stored in the fridge and ready to assemble for those busy weeknights. Feel like Martha.
Fresh, full of flavour, loaded with healthy protein, lots of crunch and topped off with a creamy piquant sauce, this is simply a bowl full of antioxidants. We voted, and even though I am usually a huge fan of chipotle, the Avocado Crema won, HANDS DOWN. That dreamy creamy drizzle of avocado, lime and cilantro takes this meal from good to great.
Fresh Burrito Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa cooked in 2 cups water
- 1 cup salsa, homemade or store-bought
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup corn, frozen or canned
- 1 red bell pepper. diced
- ½ green bell pepper. diced
- 1 14 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Roma tomatoes or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups loosely packed cilantro
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cook quinoa, then set aside to cool. Mix with the salsa and put in the bottom of the serving bowl.
- Layer the remaining ingredients on top.
- Top with EITHER the Chipotle Crema or the Avocado Crema
- Chipotle Crema--simply stir all ingredients together.
- Avocado Crema--put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.