We’re celebrating these easy days of late of summer with this fresh fig, prosciutto and arugula pizza. Simple. Summertime. Pizza!
A thin gluten-free crust, a light layer of cheesy topping, and thin strips of crispy prosciutto makes a delicious base on which to pile luscious, fresh-from-the-tree sweet figs and peppery arugula.
Honestly, this is one of my favourite pairings. Figs and cheese. In this case, Parmesan and goat cheese. Or blue cheese. Or really any kind of cheese that you love (or that you have in your fridge). Even an aged cheddar would be good on this pizza.
Keeping it easy, here’s what to do to get this Fig, Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza on the table fast.
- Make the crust. Use your favourite homemade pizza crust, or use store-bought. I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust mix. Following the package directions, I baked the crust, then sprinkled it with cheese and strips of prosciutto and popped it back in the oven. If you’re using a pre-baked crust, you won’t have to bake it first. Obviously.
- Once the cheese is all melted and the prosciutto is crisp, remove it from the oven.
- Let it cool slightly, then pile on some fresh, quartered figs and arugula leaves and devour!
Fresh figs are one of the best things about summertime! But like peaches, they ripen all at once, they don’t keep well, and then . . . . just like summer, they’re gone. If you find them in your farmer’s market, scoop them up! Enjoy them on this pizza or try one these!
To tell if a fig is ripe, look for ones that have unblemished skin. They should be firm but not hard and slightly soft, but not mushy. Use them quickly and store unused ones in the fridge as they will spoil within a few days.
It's salty, sweet, and peppery, all on a cheesy crust! This Fresh Fig, Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza is artisan pizza at it best. Use your favourite crust!
- 2 pizza crusts, homemade or store-bought *
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 8 oz soft goat cheese or blue cheese
- 8 slices prosciutto, cut into ribbons
- 4 fresh figs, quartered
- 2 cups arugula
Prepare your favourite homemade crusts or prepare store-bought crusts according to package instructions. (I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix). Bake, then remove from oven and sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano and small dollops of goat cheese or blue cheese. Add prosciutto strips and return to oven to bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cooked in the middle.
Cool slightly, then top with fresh figs and arugula, slice and serve.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. Funds earned simply help me to offset the costs of operating this blog and sharing recipes with you, my readers.