This Caramelized Pear and Blue Cheese Pizza has all the flavours we usually love in a pear and blue cheese salad, now in a gluten-free pizza!
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I fell in love with pizza all over again this spring.
I hadn’t made pizza for years, until a few weeks ago. Since then, I’ve made several different kinds, each of them at least twice. I’m obsessed. Why? I discovered Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix. No, this isn’t a sponsored post. I just happen to really like using this mix because it’s easy and it always turns out.
I started salivating over pizza when Denis ordered an artichoke-parmesan pizza in a bistro in a tiny town in the Lake Como area of Northern Italy this spring. I made a gluten-free choice from the menu, ordering a healthy Caprese salad. I then spent most of my time during lunch coveting his meal and begging for bites.
The next day, on our way to Modena, instead of enjoying the scenery, I secretly spent my time looking out the car window and brainstorming homemade pizza topping ideas. I came up with Roasted Grape, Goat Cheese and Balsamic Pizza, Smoky Chipotle Shrimp Pizza, and this gluten-free Caramelized Pear and Blue Cheese Pizza that I’m sharing with you today.
Fast forward a month or two, and I decided to host a couple of pizza party gatherings. This Caramelized Pear and Blue Cheese Pizza was one of our favourites. It has a unique combination of sweet pears, salty prosciutto, and sharp blue cheese that’s all tied together with a drizzle of rich balsamic vinegar. Be still, my heart. This pizza is one I’ll make again and again.
And that artichoke pizza Denis ordered in Lake Como? Definitely outshone by this one!
- 1 12- inch baked pizza crust (I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix)
- 1 firm sweet pear, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I used a Bosc)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella or other mild cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded serrano or prosciutto ham
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- balsamic drizzle (I used store-bought)
- leaves fresh arugula
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet. Add pears and toss to coat. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes. Add brown sugar, stir and cook for another 3 - 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle shredded Mozzarella on pizza crust
- Arrange caramelized pears in a single layer on crust.
- Top with shredded prosciutto or serrano ham and blue cheese.
- Bake at 400°F. for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction and garnish with fresh arugula leaves.