These Thai Chicken Burgers are incredibly flavourful and are packed with protein. Serve as an open-face burger with a side salad to make a paleo and gluten-free meal.
I haven't eaten a burger for years. I rarely eat beef and I strive to keep my meals gluten-free, so a patty inside a bun is not something I crave. However, it dawned on me that an open-face burger made with ground chicken would make a great casual meal.
I found this recipe for Thai Chicken Burgers by Gwyneth Paltrow on Shape.com and adapted it only slightly. It's intensely flavourful, packed with protein and very easy to put together.
Instead of chopping the ingredients separately as the original recipe instructed, I put everything (except the ground chicken) in my mini food processor and processed it until it was uniformly chopped. Then all I had to do was stir it into the chicken, form it into patties and grill.
I was very doubtful that these patties would hold together, as the recipe has no eggs and no binder like bread crumbs or oats. But they did!
These Thai Chicken Burgers were quick and easy to prepare and they made a healthy gluten-free meal.
I topped the chicken burgers with a little Vegenaise (vegan mayonnaise) and some snipped chives and served them with a garden salad, grilled mushrooms, and Smoky Sweet Potato Wedges (because every good burger needs fries, right?)
We liked them so much, that I've made several batches since to freeze for busy days. I hope you get a chance to make these Thai chicken burgers soon.
More Open-Faced Burger ideas:
Paleo Chicken Fajita Burgers with Tomatillo Guacamole
Open-Faced Harissa Chicken Burgers with Yogurt Sauce
Chipotle Chicken Burgers with Fresh Peach Salsa
Crispy Baked Zucchini Patties with Lemon Tahini Dip
Healthy Open Face Thai Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken, preferably dark meat
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped (about 2 )
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 Thai red chili pepper, finely minced
- ⅔ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Put all ingredients except chicken in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Alternatively, chop or mince by hand.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken with chopped ingredients, stirring until well incorporated.
- Form into patties, ¾ inch thick.
- Heat skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Coat lightly with oil to prevent sticking. Add burgers and cook on one side for 8 minutes, turn and cook on the other side for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Serve immediately.