This Paleo Honey Mustard Chicken with Turmeric dish makes crispy chicken with a creamy, spicy honey-mustard sauce. It's an easy one-pan chicken dish, baked to perfection in the oven.
Crispy on the outside, tender and juicy inside, this Honey Mustard Chicken with Turmeric is blanketed with a creamy-dreamy, sweet 'n spicy honey-mustard sauce. I swear I could eat this every day. (Well, maybe every other day, so I could have my Easy Baked Lemon Chicken on alternate days).
This recipe has the added benefit of turmeric. Besides adding flavour and colour to the chicken, turmeric has other anti-inflammatory properties that may help in preventing disease, so I'm often looking for ways to include more of it in my diet.
Ready to make this easy, one-pan chicken dish? Here's what you'll need.
🛒Ingredients for Honey-Mustard Chicken with Turmeric
chicken thighs: bone-in, skin on. I used to shun any chicken that wasn't a boneless, skinless breast, convinced that the higher fat content would put me into cardiac arrest. I've since learned that the difference in fat content is negligible, however. Thighs have so much more flavour and if you keep the skin on during cooking, the meat remains tender and juicy. Remember, you don't have to eat the skin!
rub ingredients: ground turmeric, dry mustard powder, oil, salt and pepper
honey-mustard sauce: whole grain mustard, Dijon mustard, honey, chicken stock, salt and pepper
herbs: chives or parsley for garnish (optional)
❓How to Sear Chicken
Searing chicken parts has sometimes been an exercise in frustration for me, as that precious skin that I want to keep to protect the meat can get stuck to the bottom of the skillet. I read all about the chemistry behind chicken sticking to the pan, but if you'd like to avoid reading all that technical explanation, just follow these instructions.
- Heat the skillet first. Empty. Watch it carefully. Don't go walking away to put on a load of laundry.
- Now add the oil. Use your choice of oil, but choose one with high heat tolerance. The oil will heat up very quickly. You'll know it is ready when you see ripples.
- Next, carefully add the chicken, give the skillet a little shake and then leave it alone for a few minutes. Don't go moving it around the pan or it will stick.
- Once it is seared, it will release on its own. Shake the pan a little and it will slide easily if you give it a little nudge. Then you'll be able to pick it up with tongs and flip it over to sear the other side.
You may find conflicting advice on using a cold pan/cold oil or a hot pan/cold oil, but this method is the one that works well for me.
See? Nicely seared chicken.
🥄 Next steps
Now, spoon the honey-mustard sauce over the chicken. Bake in the oven for about half an hour. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Cook thighs to 175° F., a little higher than is recommended for other chicken parts.
Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with some fresh herbs like chives or parsley and serve.
👍🏼 Tip: Removing turmeric stains
Protect your clothing and avoid using plastic utensils. I find that if you do get it on plastic or on your countertops, rub it with a little oil first, then use your usual cleaning method to remove it.
Enjoy this easy one-pan chicken dish!
🗒More healthy chicken recipes
Winner Winner Chicken Dinners!
Honey Mustard Chicken with Turmeric
- 6 - 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- oil for searing
For the rub
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- salt and pepper
For the honey-mustard sauce
- 3 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pat chicken thighs dry.
- Combine the rub ingredients and work well into the chicken thighs, covering all surfaces.
- Whisk together the honey-mustard sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed oven-proof skillet on stove. When heated, add oil to barely cover the surface. When it shimmers, add chicken thighs, skin side down. Sear for 3-4 minutes until golden brown, then turn and sear on the other side for 3 minutes or so.
- Drain excess oil, then pour honey-mustard sauce over all.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until meat thermometer indicates an internal temperature of 175°F. Remove from oven and serve.