This refreshingly sweet Melon Cucumber Salad features Honey Kiss melon balls and crispy cucumbers with a little zing from red onion and chili flakes. Drizzled with a creamy Greek yogurt dressing, it’s an ideal summer salad.
Yesterday I planned to make a Cantaloupe Arugula Salad because I love the contrast of sweet melon and spicy arugula. When I found a display of Honey Kiss melons in my local supermarket, I pounced on one. While I love cantaloupe, honeydew, Crenshaw and other melons, Honey Kiss is my favourite. They’re so naturally sweet and juicy and simply irresistible. I decided to combine melon with crispy cucumbers and then added contrasting flavours with red onion and chili flakes. Nuts added a little crunch, and a creamy Greek yogurt dressing tied all the flavours together. A win!
This is a simple salad to put together! Build it layer by layer! First, use a mandolin slicer (or a very sharp knife) to thinly slice a cucumber and arrange on a serving platter.
Make melon balls (or chop melon into bite-sized pieces). Save the remaining melon to add to a smoothie or for another use.
Arrange the melon balls on top of the cucumbers and scatter thinly sliced red onion on top. Sprinkle with dried chili flakes, if desired. At this point, you can cover and refrigerate the salad until serving time.
Just before serving, top with toasted chopped pistachios, flaked almonds or other nuts. Drizzle with creamy Greek yogurt dill dressing and garnish with sprigs of fresh dill.
While this recipe makes enough for four, the two of us devoured the whole thing! It was just that good.
Celebrate summer nights with this sweet ‘n spicy melon cucumber salad! Serve with a spicy chicken dish like these Smoky Chipotle Honey-Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs, Chili Lime Drumsticks or some chicken wings.
Melon Cucumber Salad with Creamy Greek Yogurt Dill Dressing
- 1 sweet melon, (I used Honey Kiss)
- 1/2 long English cucumber
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted pistachios or flaked almonds
- 3 - 4 tbsp Creamy Greek Yogurt Dill Dressing
Creamy Greek Yogurt Dill Dressing
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried dill or 1 tsp fresh dill
- Using a mandolin or a very sharp knife, slice cucumber very thinly and arrange on a serving platter.
- Cut the melon in half, remove seeds and make melon balls from the flesh using a melon baller (or slice into bite-sized pieces.) Scatter on top of the cucumbers.
- Add the thinly sliced red onion, sprinkle with chili flakes and refrigerate until serving time.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and refrigerate.
- At serving time, scatter the nuts on top of the salad and drizzle with dressing.
Kitchen Items I used to make this Melon Cucumber Salad
This post contains affiliate links through amazon.com. If you purchase something through my site, I receive a small commission, paid by Amazon, not by you. It helps to offset the cost of maintaining my site. Thanks for supporting Flavour & Savour!