This Mocha Almond smoothie bowl is brimming with almond milk and chia seeds, sweetened with dates and a secret ingredient that gives it a kick! This post describes how to make a smoothie bowl and includes a checklist of smoothie bowl components and basic ingredients. Experiment and make your own flavour combinations.
Diving into this Mocha Almond Smoothie Bowl for breakfast is a favourite way to start the day. Well, after my morning coffee, of course.
While I love this Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie, this Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Smoothie and especially this Tropical Turmeric Smoothie, having chocolate in the morning just seems so sinfully indulgent.
And . . . I toss in my secret ingredient: just a little of the leftover coffee from the coffee pot!
That mere ¼ cup of coffee transforms this smoothie bowl from chocolate to mocha in two seconds flat. Of course, if you're not a coffee drinker, you can leave this out . . . and then this will become a Chocolate Almond Smoothie Bowl instead!
Regardless, it has all the necessary components of a smoothie and it's absolutely delicious.
🥄 How to Make a Smoothie Bowl
Smoothie Bowl Basics
A smoothie bowl is simply a thicker smoothie served in a bowl.
Reduce the amount of liquid you would add to your usual smoothie, and increase the thickener. Whir everything in your blender, then transfer to a favourite bowl.
Add some fruit, nuts or seeds on top for extra crunch, eat mindfully and enjoy your breakfast with a spoon instead of a straw!
☑️A checklist of smoothie or smoothie bowl components
- Liquid: Water, your choice of milk (any plant-based milk like almond, coconut, cashew, oat, rice, soy, cow's milk), juice, or even green tea
- Thickener: banana or yogurt (dairy or plant-based yogurt)
Banana or yogurt
- Healthy fat: nut butter, avocado
- Protein: hemp hearts, chia seeds
- Vegetables and/or fruit: Any fruit or berries, greens such as kale or spinach, or carrots, celery, cucumber, sea vegetables (use sea veggies sparingly as they have strong flavours)
- Natural sweeteners and flavour add-ins: dates, honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla
This Mocha Almond Smoothie Bowl has all the essential ingredients of a great smoothie bowl!
- liquid (almond milk)
- thickener (banana)
- fat (almond butter)
- protein (chia seeds)
- flavour add-ins (dates), fruit (raspberries and bananas).
And a shot of coffee, too, just for extra flavour.
While I often have hemp hearts in my smoothie, I opted for chia seeds because they work their magic and transform this from a beverage to a meal-in-a-bowl in a short time.
This smoothie bowl forces me to sit down for breakfast, instead of having it on the run. Mindful eating!
👍🏼 Helpful Tip
Plan ahead! Slice and freeze overripe bananas to top this smoothie bowl! Peel spotty bananas, slice into rounds about ¼ to ½ inch thick and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Once they're frozen, transfer the slices to a freezer container or freezer bag, and use a few at a time to make your smoothies. A natural sweetener!
🗒 More Smoothie and Smoothie Bowl Recipes
- Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie
- Healthy Chia Gingerbread Smoothie
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Smoothie
- Strawberry Watermelon Collagen Smoothie
- Simple Orange Collagen Creamsicle Smoothie
- Vegan Chocolate Almond Smoothie
- Healthy Peach Melba Smoothie Bowl
- Clean-Eating Tropical Turmeric Smoothie
- Pineapple Orange Green Smoothie with Microgreens
📖 Recipe Card
Mocha Almond Smoothie Bowl
- ½ ripe banana, fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup almond milk, or other plant-based milk
- ¼ - ½ cup brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 - 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 ice cubes
- flaked almonds, sliced banana, fresh or frozen raspberries
- Put all ingredients except garnish in a high-speed blender and process until smooth. You may have to scrape the sides once part way through.
- Pour into a bowl. It will thicken within an hour or two, garnish with almonds, banana slices and raspberries.