Here's my recipe for my favourite gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. They're grain-free, made with almond flour, coconut flour and coconut sugar and studded with lots of chocolate chips.
My favourite gluten-free chocolate chip cookies! If you're searching for an alternative to a traditional chocolate chip cookie made with white flour and white sugar, and you want to try a grain-free cookie sweetened with coconut sugar, try this recipe for my favourite gluten-free chocolate chip cookies.
There are hundreds of chocolate chip cookie recipes on the internet, and lots of gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, but in my opinion, this one's the best!
Everyone needs a cookie now and then, even if you can't have gluten in your diet. And if you're like me, being on a gluten-free diet has created a void in my life: NO satisfying chocolate chip cookies. While I love these Crispy Salted Coconut Cookies, and they are gluten-free, they're made with coconut, not chocolate!
Why are these my favourite Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Many of the gluten-free chocolate chip cookies I have tried aren't worth the energy it takes to bite into them. They crumble, they taste dusty, or they have so much sugar in them to hide the taste of the inferior flours that I just can't enjoy them.
Cookies need to be a little bit firm but a little bit soft. They must be sturdy, but not hard as a rock, like some commercially produced cookies. If they're chock full of chocolate chips, they'll get bonus points from me.
These cookies are slightly crisp on the outside, but soft and chewy inside, just like a chocolate chip cookie should be!
Cookies made with nut flours and nut butters are higher in calories, but they are so filling, it is easy to just stop at one. Just one of my favourite gluten-free chocolate chip cookies totally satisfies.
If you are a long-time cookie connoisseur, I hope you'll try these and see what you think. Let me know in the comments below!
Looking for more gluten-free cookie recipes? Try these ones, too!
or these ones, all made with gluten-free oats:
- Gluten-free Cherry Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
- Cranberry Pecan White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
My Favourite Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup blanched almond flour ,* (100 grams)
- ¼ cup coconut flour, (32 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the coconut sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add the almond butter, vanilla and egg and beat well until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for 15 minutes.
- Roll dough into 25 balls, or use a cookie scoop, then place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets and flatten slightly with a fork.
- Bake at 350°F for 12-14 minutes. Cookies will be soft when you remove them from the oven but will become crisper as they cool.
This post has been updated with new photos. I tweaked the recipe, reducing the amount of coconut sugar, but adding brown sugar to make the cookies a little more crisp. I also deleted the requirement to chill the dough before baking, so these cookies can now be ready to eat in less than 30 minutes!
I'm commenting again, since I just keep coming back to these ones! Never fail gluten free cookies that are so easy, use ingredients that I always have on hand, and turn out perfect every time. Love these cookies!! Especially when I'm a bit sick of oat cookies (the regular go-to gluten free choice). These taste like "the real deal" -- you could totally fool a flour lover.
These are THE BEST! You'd never know these were gluten free. They taste even better than the flour based cookies! The texture is awesome -- often gluten free cookies crumble so much that storing them in a cookie jar is completely out of the question. But not with these ones! Our cookie jar is full. Such a great sweetness level too. The perfect chocolate chip cookie!
(I added dried cherries to mine too ... yum)
Flavour & Savour
Every kitchen needs a full cookie jar and who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies? So glad you liked them!
Thanks Laura! I just made a batch of these yesterday! I appreciate the 5 stars.