Kick your burger grilling up a notch with these smoky Paleo Chicken Fajita Burgers with Tomatillo Guacamole. Easy to serve without a bun, too!
These juicy paleo Chicken Fajita Burgers are seasoned with smoky chipotles in adobo sauce, they're topped with seared peppers, and they're serve on a bed of tasty tomatillo guacamole. They're an easy Southwestern-style burger to cook on a grill, but they can also be made on the stove top.
🥶 Prepare and freeze your chicken burgers!
Summertime means grilling time, and chicken burgers make an easy 30-minute dinner. I regularly make big batches of several types of burgers, like
- these Open-Faced Harissa Chicken Burgers with Yogurt Sauce,
- these Healthy Open Face Thai Burgers,
- or Chipotle Chicken Burgers with Peach Salsa.
I freeze them on baking sheets, then package, vacuum seal and freeze for busy nights.
Start by prepping the Tomatillo Guacamole. No tomatillos? No worries! Sub your favourite chunky guacamole if you don't have tomatillos. Simply mash avocado with a fork and stir in lime juice, garlic, cilantro and tomatillos or a few chopped tomatoes.
While your burgers are sizzling on the grill, sear some sliced bell peppers (one of each colour is fun) and onions just until softened. These peppers add fabulous Tex-Mex flavours to your burgers, so don't leave them out!
Then assemble and you're ready to devour! Spread a thick layer of guac on a gluten-free bun, add a burger, and top with a generous amount of seared peppers and onions.
OR Keep your meal gluten-free by serving these delicious paleo chicken fajita burgers without a bun. Just add the guacamole on top of the patty before topping with the sliced pepper and onion mix.
❓Frequently asked questions
Very lean ground chicken (or ground turkey) may result in dry burgers. Use a mix of ground chicken thighs and breasts for juicy burgers and best results.
Depending on how thick you make the burgers and the temperature of your grill, these burgers should be cooked for 4-6 minutes per side or longer, or until a meat thermometer (inserted through the side of the burger) registers at least 165°F and the meat is no longer pink inside.
Love fajita flavours? Try these Easy Chicken Fajitas in Foil Packets next time you need a quick make-ahead dinner!
A 30-minute Southwestern dinner with pizzazz!
Paleo Chicken Fajita Burgers with Tomatillo Guacamole
Chicken Fajita Burgers
- 1 lb. ground chicken combination of thigh and breast meat
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce or 1 tablespoon ground chipotle powder
- 3 tablespoon cilantro leaves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
Seared Peppers and Onions
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- ½ orange or yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- ½ green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 med onion thinly sliced
- 2 avocados peeled and pitted
- 2 tomatillos finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
- sea salt to taste
- Prepare Tomatillo Guacamole. Mash avocado with a fork and combine with remaining guacamole ingredients. Cover.
- Combine all burger ingredients in a medium bowl. Form into 4 patties. Add 2 teaspoon oil to a hot skillet or grease a grill. Fry or grill until no longer pink inside and a meat thermometer inserted sideways indicates an internal temperature of at least 165°F. (about 4 - 6 minutes per side or longer depending on the thickness of the patties and the temperature of your grill.)
- Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a skillet, and add onions and peppers. Sear just until softened, being careful not to overcook.
- Assemble burgers. Serve open-faced, topping burgers with Tomatillo Guacamole and seared peppers and onions, or spread guacamole on a bun, add a burger, and top with seared peppers and onions.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.