This Paleo Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake with a coconut crumble topping is tender, grain-free and dairy-free. It’s sweetened with maple syrup and coconut sugar. You'd never guess it's gluten-free!
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake to celebrate spring and summer mornings!
Who doesn't love that classic combo of strawberries and rhubarb? (Actually, my brother told me last week that he doesn't! He likes both rhubarb and strawberries, but on their own.)
But for the rest of us, here's a tender, gluten-free and paleo Strawberry Rhubarb Breakfast Cake to enjoy a morning cup of coffee or tea.
Made with almond and coconut flours and sweetened with coconut sugar and maple syrup, this cake is ideal for those following a paleo diet. And unlike many gluten-free baked goods, this breakfast cake is moist, tender and holds together nicely. No dry, crumbly cake to fall apart on your plate!
I adapted this cake from my Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake, one of my most popular recipes. This time, I substituted strawberry-rhubarb compote for applesauce, and I added finely chopped fresh strawberries instead of apples. I grated lemon zest for a hint of lemon and made a naturally sweetened coconut crumble topping.
I've had fun experimenting with different flavours of this basic paleo coffee cake. Besides the Apple Cinnamon, I've also made Pumpkin Pecan Caramel Coffee Cake, and Cranberry Pear Coffee Cake. But this strawberry-rhubarb version is perfect for a spring and summer brunch or dessert. It has just the right balance of sweet and tart.
Did I mention it will make your kitchen smell heavenly?
You will need:
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 small bowl
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 large bowl
- 1 8 x 8 inch baking pan
- parchment paper
How to serve this Paleo Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- for brunch with coffee
- as an afternoon snack with tea
- for dessert with a dollop of whipped coconut milk or dairy-free ice cream
How long will this coffee cake keep?
This cake will stay fresh for three days or longer when stored in an airtight container. It freezes well, too!
Looking for more delicious recipes using rhubarb? Try these 10 Ways to Use Rhubarb That Aren't Pie!
Paleo Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- 4 cups rhubarb chopped
- 1/3 cup water or orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup strawberries finely chopped
- Stir rhubarb, water and maple syrup (or honey) in a large non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat. Mash, or use an immersion blender or pulse in a food processor to purée the rhubarb. Add the finely chopped strawberries. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Note: you only need 1/2 cup of this compote for the coffee cake. Use the remainder in this Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie, Rhubarb Bellini Prosecco Cocktail, or in this Skinny Strawberry Rhubarb Breakfast Parfait.
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- Heat oven to 325°F. Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make the coconut crumble topping first. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar and 1/2 cup of strawberry rhubarb compote. Stir well. Add the eggs and beat until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the finely ground almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Gently fold in the finely diced strawberries.
- Spread in prepared pan. Top with coconut crumble. Bake at 325°F. for 45 - 50 minutes. Let cool, then carefully remove from pan and remove parchment paper. Cool completely before slicing
- If desired, but not necessary, drizzle with a glaze made with 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 to 2 Tablespoons lemon juice.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.