Tomato Soup with Basil and Bacon
This Tomato Soup with Basil and Bacon is dairy-free. Coconut milk provides the creaminess but doesn't overpower the flavour. Quick and easy to prepare.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 10 cups
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 28 oz cans organic tomatoes
- 2 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh basil. chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- crispy fried and drained bacon ends, for garnish
Put oil in heated soup pot. Add chopped onions and celery and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add chopped garlic and cook for another 2 minutes or so until the onions are translucent, but not browned.
Add the canned tomatoes, the broth, the coconut milk and the basil.
Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Puree in batches in a blender or food processor.
Pour into bowls and garnish with crispy bacon pieces and more chopped fresh basil;