Kale Caprese Salad
Kale makes this Italian-inspired dish a healthier alternative than the original Caprese Salad. Cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil leaves are combined with shredded kale and tossed with a garlicky Dijon dressing. Serves 4 as a side salad. Good with grilled chicken or fish.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 bunch fresh kale, washed, dried and ribs removed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes washed and stems removed
- 2 green onions scallions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 125 grams fresh mozzarella about 1/2 cup, sliced, then diced
- 10 basil leaves, gently torn
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
Slice the kale leaves into thin ribbons. Place in a large bowl and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Massage the oil into the leaves to tenderize them.
Add the cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, green onions and basil leaves to the bowl.
Smash a garlic clove on a cutting board and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using the side of your knife tilted at a very slight angle, drag it across the clove until a fine paste forms.
Put the paste in a small glass dish or measuring cup, add the vinegar and mustard and combine.
In a slow, steady stream, pour in the olive oil, whisking continuously to combine.
Drizzle part of this over the salad, toss, and serve.