Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins
These grab and go apple oatmeal breakfast muffins are gluten-free and dairy-free, but they're packed with protein to keep you satisfied all morning.
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup almond butter * See Recipe Notes
- 1/4 cup honey OR maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar OR coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup oat flour * (grind rolled oats in a blender)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats* (use gluten-free oats if necessary)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, divided
- 1 cup apple peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
Heat oven to 350°F and line 12 muffin tins with parchment paper liners (not regular paper liners, as they will stick) or grease the tins thoroughly.
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the applesauce, almond butter, honey, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat in the eggs.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together the oat flour, rolled oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
Toss the peeled apple chunks with the lemon juice to prevent browning, then drain excess juice.
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just barely combined.
Gently stir in the apple chunks and 1/3 cup of the walnuts (or pecans).
Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and top with remaining chopped nuts or a few oat flakes mixed with a sprinkle of brown sugar.
Bake at 350°F for 18 - 20 minutes.
- A reader reported that she successfully substituted tahini for the almond butter. Try peanut butter as an alternative, too.
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 218mg | Potassium: 314mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 1.7mg