Seared Scallops with Mango Salad
Here are three simple steps to create perfectly seared scallops, and serve them on a colourful salad made with thinly sliced mango, red pepper, cucumber and red onion.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 4 minutes
Total Time 19 minutes
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari, low-sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos (for paleo diet)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or coconut palm sugar)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
For the Salad
- 2 Ataulfo mangos, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 mini cucumber, thinly sliced (or a few slices of a long English cucumber)
- a few thin slices of red onion and finely chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
For the Scallops
- 12 large sea scallops (about 1 pound)
- 2 tbsp grapeseed or other vegetable oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Slice salad ingredients and arrange on serving plates.
Remove the scallops from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Heat a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat just until it begins to ripple. Pat the scallops dry once more and carefully add to the pan in a single layer. Sear on one side for 3 minutes.
Carefully lift one to see if the underside is brown and crisp, then using tongs, turn and sear on the second side, just until it is well browned and the scallops are firm, no more than 2 - 3 minutes. The centre of the scallop should be slightly translucent.
Place on top of salad, drizzle with remaining marinade and serve immediately.