Butternut Squash and Shiitake Salad
Warm roasted cubes of butternut squash and shiitake mushrooms with crisp pears and toasted hazelnuts or pumpkin seeds combine to make a two-thumbs Butternut Squash and Shiitake Salad.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp each smoked sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tsp gluten-free tamari, or coconut aminos for Paleo diet
- 3 cups kale, ribs removed and finely chopped
- 3 green onions, green portion only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red Anjou pear, unpeeled, cored and diced , tossed with 1 teaspoon lemon juice to prevent browning
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped or spiced pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt
Heat oven to 400°F. Heat a rimless baking sheet in the oven for 4-5 minutes.
Toss the diced butternut squash cubes with olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread out on hot baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until crisp on the outside and tender.
Meanwhile toss trimmed shiitake mushrooms with tamari or coconut aminos, place on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
Wash and dry kale, remove tough center ribs and chop or tear into small pieces. Massage with 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large bowl. Add the green onions, pear, warm butternut squash and shiitake mushrooms.
Whisk the dressing ingredients together and toss the salad.
Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts or spiced pumpkin seeds and serve immediately.