Kale and Cara Cara Orange Salad
A healthy kale salad with Cara Cara oranges, toasted almonds, hints of fennel and optional cheese. It's a refreshingly sweet winter salad.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 1 bunch Lacinato Kale, stems removed and sliced very thinly OR 5 oz. baby kale leaves
- 2 Cara Cara oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup fennel bulb very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Manchego cheese grated, or Parmesan or crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds, toasted, or pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra-virgin
- 3 tbsp Cara Cara orange juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
Prepare the vinaigrette ingredients first to allow the flavours to blend. Whisk all ingredients together and let stand while preparing the salad.
Toast the flaked almonds or pumpkin seeds by heating them gently in a skillet. No oil required. Heat until they begin to brown then remove the skillet from the heat. They will continue to roast in the hot pan.
Chop the kale very finely and massage with a little bit of the vinaigrette to tenderize it.
Slice the oranges and the fennel, grate the cheese and arrange in a serving bowl or in individual dishes. Drizzle with more vinaigrette and top with nuts or seeds. Enjoy!
Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 137mg | Potassium: 628mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 7034IU | Vitamin C: 131mg | Calcium: 320mg | Iron: 2mg