Harvest Chicken with Bacon, Apples and Rosemary
Chicken simmered with harvest-time veggies bathed in bacon, onions and red wine and scented with fresh rosemary. This dish can be made in advance and warmed in the oven just before serving. Naturally dairy-free and gluten-free, it's a perfect dinner for a fall evening.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 6 - 8 boneless chicken thighs
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, halved if bigger than bite-size
- 1/2 cup diced bacon ends or about 3 slices of thick bacon cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 large sprigs of rosemary,, more for garnish
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 cups nugget potatoes or small potatoes, halved
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups butternut or acorn squash or a combination of the two, peeled cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups apples, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Toss chopped potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash with 1 Tablespoon oil and spread out on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Roast for 15 minutes, turning once until vegetables have slightly crisped edges. They will continue to cook in the pan later.
Meanwhile, In a large, heavy-bottomed oven-proof pot or deep pan (I used a large cast-iron fry pan) over medium heat, add the bacon, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
Remove this mixture from the pan and set aside.
Increase the heat and add two tablespoons of butter to the pan. Brown the chicken on both sides.
Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Pour off the excess fat and deglaze the pan with the red wine.
Reduce the heat and return the bacon mixture to the pan..
Mix in the roasted potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, and now add the apples. Tuck in the rosemary sprigs.
Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and cover.
Cook on medium low for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
If you're using chicken with the skin on, remove the lid and place under the broiler to crisp the skin slightly.
Garnish with additional chopped rosemary and serve.