Garden Fresh Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
This garden fresh Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Feta and Lemon Dressing makes a protein-rich summertime meal-in-a-bowl! Combine quinoa, tomatoes, cucumbers, Kalamata olives and fresh basil and serve for dinner or lunch.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 12 minutes
Total Time 27 minutes
- 2/3 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium cucumber seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 4 - 6 fresh basil leaves chiffonade cut, for garnish
Lemon Herb Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest finely grated
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic finely minced, or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 pinch sea salt
First, cook the quinoa. While the standard proportions for cooking quinoa are 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water, I ALWAYS have more success when I use a little less water. 1 cup of quinoa will yield 3 cups of cooked quinoa. In this recipe, you'll only need 2 cups, so use 2/3 cup of dry quinoa and 1 1/3 cups of water. Rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a fine-mesh colander, then combine with water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer gently until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat, keep it covered and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then spread out on a baking sheet or tray to cool completely.
Combine the Lemon-Herb Vinaigrette ingredients in a blender.
Chop or slice the tomatoes, cucumber, olives and red onion .
In a large bowl, combine the cooled quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, feta cheese and red onion.
Toss with Lemon Herb Vinaigrette and garnish with fresh basil.
- Add chopped cooked chicken (or shredded rotisserie chicken).
- Keep it vegetarian by adding chickpeas.
- Add spinach or arugula leaves.
- Top with cubed or sliced avocado.
- Keep it paleo by leaving out the feta cheese.
Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 1093mg | Potassium: 345mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 365IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 2.2mg