Thai Shrimp Salad with Grapefruit and Mint
Tangy citrus, creamy avocado and fresh herbs flavour this fabulous Asian-inspired recipe for shrimp salad with grapefruit and mint.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed from 1 medium lime
- 2 tbsp grapefruit juice freshly squeezed from 1/2 small grapefruit
- 1 tsp coconut aminos or soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1/8 tsp salt plus extra for salting the grapefruit
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 pound (225 gm) shrimp cooked and peeled
- 1/4 cup carrot grated
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and cut into medium dice
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or other high-heat vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup shallots thinly sliced
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 head butter lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup peanuts dry-roasted, salted
- 1/4 cup mint leaves fresh
In a small jar, prepare the marinade by mixing the lime juice, grapefruit juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, sriracha sauce, salt and sugar. Store in the fridge.
Chop the shallots, sauté them in the avocado or peanut oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Let them cool and set aside.
Remove the peel from the grapefruit. Segment the slices by removing them from the membrane with a sharp knife. Here's an easy tutorial. Salt them lightly and store in the fridge.
Wash and dry enough lettuce leaves for four servings.
Grate the carrot and refrigerate. Chop the cilantro and slice or dice the avocado.
Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Put the shrimp in a large bowl and add the carrots, cilantro, avocado and shallots. Add the marinade mixture and toss. Let the shrimp marinate for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
Tear the lettuce leaves into bite-sized pieces and arrange on a serving platter or portion into four serving dishes. Add the grapefruit segments and blood orange slices and the shrimp mixture on top, drizzling with a little of the excess marinade.
Garnish with chopped peanuts and ribbons of thinly sliced mint and serve.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 976mg | Potassium: 509mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2305IU | Vitamin C: 33.3mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 1.9mg