Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries and Pecans
Sweetened with apples and cranberries, this shredded Brussels Sprout Salad is a perfect side dish for a fall or winter meal.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 8 minutes
Total Time 23 minutes
- 6 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 2 large apples cored and grated or very thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino or Parmesan or other hard sharp cheese, coarsely grated
Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 small shallot finely diced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Heat oven to 400°F. Lay the pecans on a baking sheet and toast in oven for 6 - 8 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool before chopping.
Trim the sprouts to remove any bits of rough stem or discoloured leaves.
Shred the Brussels sprouts, using a mandoline (be careful!) or the slicing disc on a food processor, grate coarsely, or use a sharp knife to slice.
Thinly slice or grate apple into a small bowl and toss with the lemon juice to prevent browning.
Grate the cheese and combine all salad ingredients.
Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together and toss the salad.