Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup with Apple
This Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup is velvety smooth, and subtly flavoured with ginger and orange. It has a hint of sweetness from apples. Dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan and paleo.
Servings 10 cups
- 4 lbs fresh carrots, peeled and roughly chopped (8 heaping cups)
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 - 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, or 1 tbsp dried
- 2 tbsp orange zest, from an organic orange
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth, if not vegetarian)
- Garnish: crispy fried shallots, toasted sage leaves, fresh thyme, or a drizzle of maple syrup
Place all ingredients in the inner pot of the Instant Pot and place it in the base unit. Close the lid, set the Steam Release Handle to Seal and plug in the Instant Pot.
Press the Manual button, then adjust the -/+ button until the display reads 14, meaning it will cook for 14 minutes. The Timer will count down. When it reaches 0, move the Steam Release Handle to Quick Release. The steam could burn you, so either use a folder towel or a utensil to move it, making sure to keep it away from your face and hands. Once it has stopped steaming, open the lid.
Give the contents a stir, then transfer in batches to a blender to purée (or use an immersion blender.) Combine the puréed batches in a large bowl, stir to thoroughly combine, then serve. Store extra soup in Mason jars or other tightly sealed containers once it has cooled. This soup freezes well.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 93kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 2g | Sodium: 690mg | Potassium: 624mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 30685IU | Vitamin C: 16.3mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 0.8mg