This Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup is velvety smooth, and subtly flavoured with ginger and orange. It has a hint of sweetness from apples. It's dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
What's not to love about this Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup? It's a healthy bowl of velvety smooth soup, with hints of ginger and orange. Not only that, it's free of dairy and gluten, too. But the best part? It's so easy to make in an Instant Pot!
You can decide to have a warm bowl of homemade soup for lunch at noon and have it on the table, ready to eat within 40 minutes!
This Carrot Ginger Soup recipe is very similar to my Family Favourite Carrot-Ginger Soup that I simmer on the stove top. While I actually do enjoy stirring and watching a soup develop its flavour, sometimes I just want something quick! I'm quite attached to my family favourite recipe, so I was not expecting one made in an Instant Pot to be as tasty, but I was totally surprised.
Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup is every bit as good as the stove-top version!
And why shouldn't it be? All the flavour and nutrients in the ingredients become concentrated right there in the pot. Nothing is lost. And since the flavours are so concentrated, I discovered while testing this recipe that I had to change the amounts of some of the ingredients I used in my stove top recipe. I reduced the amount of ginger and used less broth.
This Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup is quick and easy to make!
- Place all ingredients in the inner pot of the Instant Pot and place it in the base unit. Close the lid, set the Steam Release Handle to Seal, and plug in the appliance.
- Press the Manual button, then adjust the -/+ button until the display reads 14, meaning it will cook for 14 minutes. The timer will count down. When it reaches 0, move the Steam Release Handle to Quick Release.
- The steam could burn you, so use a folded towel or a utensil to move it, making sure to keep it away from your face and hands. Once it has stopped steaming, open the lid.
- Give the contents a stir, then transfer in batches to a blender to purée (or use an immersion blender.)
- Combine the puréed batches in a large bowl, stir to thoroughly combine, then serve.
🥶 Storage and freezing instructions
Store extra soup in Mason jars or other tightly sealed containers once it has cooled. This carrot soup freezes well.
Remember to garnish it
I quickly fried a thinly sliced shallot until crispy and topped the soup with it. Fresh herbs or some crunchy seeds, like sunflower are delicious, too. Or try toasted sage leaves, as I used in this recipe for Smoky Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup.
For more soup garnish inspiration, see this post Healthy Soup Topping ideas.
Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup with Apple
- 4 lbs fresh carrots, peeled and roughly chopped (8 heaping cups)
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 - 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, or 1 tbsp dried
- 2 tbsp orange zest, from an organic orange
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth, if not vegetarian)
- Garnish: crispy fried shallots, toasted sage leaves, fresh thyme, or a drizzle of maple syrup
- Place all ingredients in the inner pot of the Instant Pot and place it in the base unit. Close the lid, set the Steam Release Handle to Seal and plug in the Instant Pot.
- Press the Manual button, then adjust the -/+ button until the display reads 14, meaning it will cook for 14 minutes. The Timer will count down. When it reaches 0, move the Steam Release Handle to Quick Release. The steam could burn you, so either use a folder towel or a utensil to move it, making sure to keep it away from your face and hands. Once it has stopped steaming, open the lid.
- Give the contents a stir, then transfer in batches to a blender to purée (or use an immersion blender.) Combine the puréed batches in a large bowl, stir to thoroughly combine, then serve.
- Store extra soup in Mason jars or other tightly sealed containers once it has cooled. This soup freezes well.
More healthy Instant Pot soup recipes
This vegetarian Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup is a little sweet with a bit of a kick! This healthy sweet potato soup is perfect for vegan and paleo diets!
Full of rich creamy, cheesy flavour, and loaded with broccoli, this gluten-free Broccoli White Cheddar Soup cooks quickly in an Instant Pot. This easy pressure cooker recipe is a family favourite!
This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup tastes like the cream of tomato soup you loved as a child! Here’s a wholesome recipe that’s easily adaptable to paleo, keto, vegetarian, or vegan diets.
This chunky homemade wholesome vegan Texas black bean soup can simmer all day in your slow cooker. Made with canned items, it’s a healthy but effortless family meal.
Ideas for healthy soup toppings and garnishes to transform a bowl of soup into something spectacular! Add crunchiness, creaminess or herbs for extra flavour, nutrition, and fun!
Love your Instant Pot? Thinking of getting one?
This is the one I own:
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The third party pays the commission, not you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking toAmazon.com and affiliated sites.