Wholesome Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup
This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup tastes like the soup you loved as a child! Here's a wholesome recipe that's easily adaptable to paleo, keto, vegetarian, or vegan diets.
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups chicken bone broth or chicken broth, or vegetable broth for vegan
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves or 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 3/4 cups half and half cream OR 1 14 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
Using the sauté function on the Instant Pot, heat olive oil. Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook till tender but not browned. Stir in tomato paste.
Add chopped tomatoes with liquid, bone broth, thyme, bay leaf and coconut aminos.
Cook on Manual for 15 minutes. Use the Quick Release function when finished.
Remove lid and remove bay leaf. Stir in cream OR coconut milk (for vegan or paleo). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Purée in batches in a blender.
Garnish with freshly chopped basil (for vegan) and/or crumbled cooked bacon for paleo diet.
Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 1063mg | Potassium: 212mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2350IU | Vitamin C: 5.3mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 0.5mg