This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup tastes like the cream of tomato soup you loved as a child! Here’s a wholesome recipe that’s easily adaptable to paleo, keto, vegetarian, or vegan diets.
Is there anything more comforting that a warm bowl of homemade tomato soup? Well . . . yes there is! This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup rates even higher on my comfort food scale because it’s so quick and easy to make!
One spoonful of this wholesome tomato soup was all it took to remind me of my childhood Saturday lunch times. Mom would open a can of that soup, mix it with half water and half milk, and whip up some grilled cheese sandwiches to go with it.
Back then, it tasted good to me. But this Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup is so much healthier, so much better, (and dare I say the best homemade tomato soup?)
An Instant Pot does more than simply cook food quickly. Because it uses pressure to cook, it concentrates flavour, drawing out every bit of goodness from your ingredients. This Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup with Apple is a good example. It’s an incredibly flavourful nutritious soup that’s so easy to make!
What do I need to make this Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup?
- tomato paste
- canned tomatoes
- coconut aminos OR soy sauce
- cream OR coconut milk
You can easily adapt this recipe to make it friendly for Vegan, Paleo, Whole30, or Keto diets.
Made from scratch, this Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup is nutritious, additive-free and absolutely delicious.
Vegan diet: use vegetable broth and coconut milk
Paleo and Whole30 diet: use bone broth or chicken broth and coconut milk
Keto diet: use bone broth or chicken broth, coconut milk or cream, garnish with bacon and basil
What if I don’t have an Instant Pot?
If you don’t yet own an Instant Pot, you can make this homemade soup on the stove top, too. Follow the recipe directions below, but simmer in a large heavy-bottomed pot instead of using the Instant Pot. When vegetables are tender, stir in the cream or coconut milk and follow the remaining instructions.
Can I freeze this soup?
Absolutely! It freezes well. Thaw and reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
Love bacon? Garnish your bowl of soup with some crumbled cooked bacon bits and basil if you’re not following a vegan or vegetarian diet.
Create a new favourite lunch time tradition with your family with a bowl of this warm comforting soup. Make a batch of Herbed Gluten-Free Baking Powder Biscuits to go with it!
Wholesome Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups chicken bone broth, or chicken broth, or vegetable broth for vegan
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, or 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 3/4 cups half and half cream, OR 1 14 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Using the sauté function on the Instant Pot, heat olive oil. Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook till tender but not browned. Stir in tomato paste.
- Add chopped tomatoes with liquid, bone broth, thyme, bay leaf and coconut aminos.
- Cook on Manual for 15 minutes. Use the Quick Release function when finished.
- Remove lid and remove bay leaf. Stir in cream OR coconut milk (for vegan or paleo). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Purée in batches in a blender.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil (for vegan) and/or crumbled cooked bacon for paleo diet.
Kitchen Items I recommend
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.