This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup tastes like the cream of tomato soup you loved as a child! Here's an easy tomato soup recipe that's easily adaptable to paleo, keto, vegetarian, or vegan diets.
Is there anything more comforting than a warm bowl of homemade tomato soup?
Why . . . yes there is! This Creamy Tomato Soup made in an Instant Pot rates even higher on my comfort food scale. It's so quick and easy to make! This recipe will show you how easy it is to make tomato soup in an Instant Pot.
One spoonful of this creamy tomato soup was all it took to remind me of my childhood Saturday lunchtimes. Mom would open a can of that soup, mix it with half water and half milk, and whip up some grilled cheese sandwiches to go with it.
Back then, it tasted good to me. But this pressure cooker creamy tomato soup is so much healthier, so much better, (and dare I say the best homemade tomato soup?)
❤️ Why this recipe works
- An Instant Pot does more than simply cook food quickly. Because it uses pressure to cook, it concentrates flavour, drawing out every bit of goodness from your ingredients. This Instant Pot Carrot Ginger Soup with Apple is another good example. It's an incredibly flavourful nutritious soup that's so easy to make!
- This recipe is easy to adapt for different diets. Make a vegan tomato soup, a keto tomato soup or a paleo tomato soup!
- You can freeze this soup and have it ready for lunch or dinner another day.
- For those who like to meal prep, you can double the recipe and get twice as much soup in the same amount of time!
- The best part? Just one pot to clean!
- You can use this same recipe to make this tomato soup on your stovetop. Scroll down to find the easy stovetop instructions.
- tomato paste
- canned tomatoes: I like to use San Marzano tomatoes
- broth: vegetable broth or chicken broth or chicken bone broth
- thyme: fresh or dried
- bay leaf
- tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos OR soy sauce
- cream OR coconut milk
Before we get to the full recipe for this homemade tomato soup, here are a few notes about ingredient substitutions you can make. You can easily adapt this recipe to make it friendly for Vegan, Paleo, Whole30, or Keto diets.
Made from scratch, this Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup is nutritious, additive-free and absolutely delicious!
- Vegan tomato soup: use vegetable broth and coconut milk
- Paleo and Whole30 tomato soup: use bone broth or chicken broth and coconut milk. Use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce or gluten-free tamari.
- Keto tomato soup: use bone broth or chicken broth, coconut milk or cream, garnish with bacon and basil.
🔪 Step-by-Step Instructions
- Using the Sauté function on the Instant Pot, heat olive oil in the stainless steel inner pot. Add diced onion, carrots and garlic and cook till tender but not browned. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add chopped tomatoes with liquid, broth, thyme, bay leaf and soy sauce. Scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen any brown bits.
- Cook on Manual for 15 minutes. Use the Quick Release function when the time is up. Remove the lid carefully and remove the bay leaf and the thyme stems. Stir in cream OR coconut milk (for vegan or paleo). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Purée in batches in a blender until smooth.
- Transfer to soup bowls and garnish with freshly chopped basil and or parsley (for vegan) and/or crumbled cooked bacon for paleo or keto diet.
🥄 Stovetop recipe directions
What if I don't have an Instant Pot?
If you don't own an Instant Pot, you can make this homemade soup on the stovetop. Follow the recipe directions in the recipe card below, but simmer in a large heavy-bottomed pot instead of using an Instant Pot.
When the vegetables are tender, remove the bay leaf and the thyme stems and stir in the cream or coconut milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Purée in batches in a blender. Garnish with freshly chopped basil (for vegan) and/or crumbled cooked bacon for paleo or keto diets.
Nothing! No worries. Blending the soup will take care of the curdling. Curdling can easily occur when adding cream to an acidic liquid like tomato soup. Next time, try having your cream at room temperature and let the soup cool slightly before adding the cream.
🥶 Storage and Freezing Instructions
Store this soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze this soup? Absolutely! It freezes well. In fact, I often double this recipe and freeze it in individual portions.
To easily double the recipe, click on the number 6 beside "Serving Amount" in the recipe card below. A little slider will appear. Slide it to 12 to find the new recipe amounts.
When you need a quick meal, thaw and reheat the soup in a microwave or on your stovetop.
🍽 Serving suggestions
- Who doesn't love tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches? They go together like peanut butter and jelly! Take your grilled cheese sandwich to the next level with this Caramelized Onion, Apple and Cheese Crostini
- Love bacon? Garnish your bowl of soup with some crumbled cooked bacon bits and basil if you're not following a vegan or vegetarian diet.
- Create a new favourite lunchtime tradition with your family with a bowl of this warm comforting soup. Make a batch of Herbed Gluten-Free Baking Powder Biscuits to go with it!
🗒 More Instant Pot recipes
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below. I'd love to hear how it turned out for you! Pin it and follow me on Pinterest for more tasty ideas. Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
📖 Recipe Card
Wholesome Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin (or avocado oil)
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon gluten-free tamari, or soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 ¾ cups half and half cream, OR 1 14 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- fresh basil leaves or parsley for garnish
- Using the sauté function on the Instant Pot, heat olive oil. Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook till tender but not browned. Stir in tomato paste.
- Add chopped tomatoes with liquid, bone broth, thyme, bay leaf and coconut aminos. Scrape up any browned bit off the bottom of the pot.
- Cook on Manual for 15 minutes. Use the Quick Release function when time is up.
- Remove the lid and remove bay leaf. Stir in room temperature cream OR coconut milk (for vegan or paleo). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Purée in batches in a blender.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil (for vegan) and/or crumbled cooked bacon for paleo diet.