Easy Japanese Chicken Stir Fry with Broccoli
Fresh green veggies, lean chicken, and crunchy cashews meet up in a sweet 'n salty glossy sauce! Learn how to make an easy Japanese Chicken Stir Fry, then customize it with your favourite vegetables.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 lb chicken breast or chicken tenders, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets, trimmed
- 4 baby bok choy, sliced in half, lengthwise
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 med white onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp mirin (a slightly sweet rice wine)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free tamari or soy sauce, or coconut aminos for paleo diet
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornstarch (or arrowroot or potato starch) mixed with 2 tsp water
Whisk marinade ingredients together and set aside.
Have all ingredients chopped and ready to add. Pat dry (as you don't want the vegetables to steam.)
Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat. Drizzle in a teaspoon of the oil and tilt to coat the whole pan.
Add broccoli to hot pan, sauté for 2 - 3 minutes or until bright green and just beginning to become tender. Remove to a bowl.
Add bok choy, pepper slices and onion slices to pan. Sauté for a few minutes until bok choy starts to wilt and peppers are beginning to blister. Remove to a bowl with the broccoli.
Add remaining oil, tilt to coat pan. Add minced garlic and chicken pieces. Stir until all chicken pieces are brown. Add marinade, stir to coat completely.
Add sautéed vegetables back into the pan and stir to coat with the marinade. If desired, thicken with a little cornstarch mixed with water. Then, toss in cashews, sprinkle with sesame seeds, garnish with sliced green onions and serve.
Calories: 455kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 1957mg | Potassium: 957mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 1680IU | Vitamin C: 124mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 3.3mg