These Zebra cookies are a rich chocolate cookie with a Hershey’s kiss pressed in the middle. Always popular!
These Zebra Cookies have been a favourite in our family for many years. They’re a simple little chocolate thumbprint cookie made spectacular by pressing a chocolate Hershey’s Hug in the middle.
These Chocolate Zebra Cookies are one of our Christmas traditions
Every family has a different list of things they love to do every year during the Christmas season. Us? Well, we have a long list too, many of which I’m sure are part of your celebrations, as well. Besides cutting down our own tree, putting up outdoor lights, and hanging a wreath, we decorate our home with treasured ornaments we have collected over the years. We get to open one present on Christmas Eve. (It always used to be new pajamas, so the kids looked presentable in the Christmas Day photos. Now it’s always a book). Our celebrations changed over the years as the kids grew older. In years past, we sampled the Christmas baking while we were decorating the tree. Now we tend to put our tree up earlier and I never have baking done by then!
Some traditions I cherished, like watching Denis lift our youngest child up high to put the angel on top of the tree once it was all decorated, finding heartfelt letters to Santa left on the hearth beside the milk and cookies, and snuggling on the couch to read The Night Before Christmas to three little ones in cozy flannel pajamas.
Sniff, sniff. I suddenly can’t see this screen through my tears . . .
The food we enjoy at Christmas time has changed too. While we still decorate a gingerbread house, we tend to avoid most things made with refined sugar, and this year we’re avoiding foods with gluten as well. However, these Zebra Cookies, made with Hershey’s Hugs, are always requested by friends and family who aren’t bothered by wheat or gluten, so I’ve posted them here to save for all. Enjoy!
I’ve also included a roundup of the some of the gluten-free holiday cookies here on the blog. Have a wonderful season, celebrating your own traditions with your family and friends.
- 4 oz . unsweetened chocolate
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 tsp . baking powder
- 2 tsp . vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- sifted icing sugar
- 48 milk chocolate Hershey’s Hugs . One package will be exactly enough if you don’t sneak any., the striped ones, not the Kisses . . . that’s where the cookies get their name
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt unsweetened chocolate in a small bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Cool.
- Combine eggs, sugar, melted chocolate, oil, baking powder and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Gradually add flour to chocolate mixture, stirring until combined.
- Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in icing sugar. Place 2″ apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375°F. for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are set and tops cracked.
- While still warm, (but not immediately) press a Hug into the centre of each. If you press it in too soon, the Hug will melt and lose its shape. If you wait too long, the cookie will harden. Cool on wire rack.
Holiday Cookie Roundup. All are gluten-free except the Zebra Cookies.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.