The secret ingredient in this dairy-free Caramel Almond Crunch Ice Cream? Frozen bananas! Ice cream becomes “Nice cream!”
Dessert. It’s the crowning glory to a meal. Who doesn’t love something sweet after dinner? But sugar-laden, high-fat desserts can leave us feeling overfull and uncomfortable because they’re not what our bodies need. Often all I really want is a tiny taste. Shot glass desserts to the rescue!
So let’s talk about this Caramel Almond Crunch Ice Cream.
Made with wholesome ingredients and loaded with the healthy benefits of almonds, it will satisfy anyone’s craving for something sweet, even mine!
Listen to this ingredient list: bananas, dates, almond milk, almonds, maple syrup, cinnamon . . . no dairy, no refined sugar . . . just sweet, natural goodness layered in a cute li’l glass.
Almonds are a powerhouse of good nutrition. Besides being an excellent source of protein, they have heart-healthy “good fats” which may help to lower cholesterol. Incorporating almonds as a snack food into your diet can help to prevent spikes in your blood sugar.
Not only that, they’re an important source of calcium, magnesium, potassium and good old fiber, which we all need to keep our metabolism in good working order. Read more about the benefits of these wholesome little nuts at nuts.com
Or just get busy and make this Caramel Almond Crunch Ice Cream right now and reap the benefits instead of just reading about them! Start by preparing the topping, make the caramel sauce next, and then all you have to do before dessert time is whir some frozen bananas in your high-speed blender.
I have the topping and the caramel sauce pre-made and tucked away in my fridge so I can whip up this healthy snack at a moment’s notice instead of reaching for something sugary.
Make it. You won’t be disappointed.
Caramel Almond Crunch Ice Cream
- 4 medium very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup Medjool pitted dates, about 6 dates
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Peel and slice bananas. Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until very firm, at least 6 hours or preferably overnight.
- First, prepare the crunchy almond topping. Preheat oven to 325F. Toss the chopped almonds with maple syrup, cinnamon and sea salt in a small bowl. Spread out on a lined baking sheet and toast until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Next, prepare the caramel sauce. Put the dates in a food processor and pulse until chopped. With machine running, add the vanilla and sea salt. Pour in the almond milk and maple syrup and process until smooth. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, blend the frozen banana slices in a high-speed blender, just until they are smooth and creamy. Be careful not to over process, as the friction from the blender will melt the ice cream.
- Layer the banana ice, caramel sauce and crunchy cinnamon almonds in shot glass or parfait glasses and serve immediately.
This post was inspired by a recipe I discovered on Swoonfood.com I’ve adapted it slightly.
I’ve had several people ask me about the little shot glass dessert dishes on my blog. You can purchase similar ones here:
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.