This rustic, free-form blueberry lemon ginger galette has all the flavour of blueberry pie without having to fuss with pastry! You can use fresh or frozen blueberries to make this gluten-free dessert. You'll love its tender crust made with almond flour and tapioca flour.
I'm back with another galette recipe: this time with a gluten-free blueberry galette. It's absolutely delicious and it can easily be made sugar-free if you'd like!
Check almost any list of favourite pie recipes and you'll find blueberry pie listed. Blueberries are so easy to use--no peeling, coring, or even slicing necessary.
For those of us who can't tolerate the gluten in a pie crust made with wheat or other types of flour, this Blueberry Lemon Ginger Galette is a perfect alternative.
It has all the flavour of blueberry pie with sweet blueberries and hints of lemon and ginger in a tender, buttery crust.
I made the rustic galette crust with a combination of almond flour and tapioca flour. It's the closest substitute I've found for the tender pastry crust made with butter and flour that I used to enjoy.
Gluten-free pastry for galette recipes
I've used this gluten-free pastry recipe in several recipes lately: most recently in this Strawberry Rhubarb Galette, and in these two savoury pies: Spinach Artichoke Galette and Potato Galette with Bacon and Cheese.
Can you tell I love this pastry recipe?
This gluten-free blueberry galette recipe is so easy. You'll have a hard time believing it's gluten-free. Any day is a good day to make a pie! Here's what you'll need.
- pastry: made with a combination of almond flour and tapioca flour
- filling: fresh or frozen (and thawed) blueberries with lemon zest, lemon juice, finely grated fresh ginger and granulated sweetener of your choice
- egg wash: one egg mixed with a little water
🔪 How to make a gluten-free galette with blueberry filling
Here's a quick overview of what you'll do to make this delicious gluten-free blueberry galette. Complete instructions are in the recipe card below.
Begin by preparing the pastry as it needs a couple of hours to chill in the fridge. A food processor makes this gluten-free pastry recipe a breeze. Pulse ingredients, then add an egg and a teaspoon of honey and pulse until it forms a ball. Form into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge.
Toss the blueberries with sugar or another sweetener (I use Lacanto Monkfruit sweetener), cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest and ginger.
Once the pastry dough is chilled, roll it out on a sheet of parchment paper. Slide both the paper and the dough onto a baking sheet.
Mound the blueberry mixture into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border.
Fold the border up over the fruit, making (rough) pleats as you work around the circle. Brush with an egg wash.
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until fruit bubbles up and pastry is deep golden brown. It's okay if some of the fruit juices leak onto the baking sheet. It will still taste delicious! Let cool completely before slicing. Serve as is, or with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
🔁 Possible variations
Don't care for ginger? Leave it out.
Try substituting other berries, like blackberries or raspberries, or use a mixture of berries. Keep the lemon zest and juice in the recipe. Lemon adds brightness and enhances the flavour of berries.
⏰ Make-ahead and storage instructions
You can make the pastry 3 - 4 days ahead of time. Store it tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.
This gluten-free blueberry lemon galette will be best if eaten the day it is baked. Store leftovers, loosely covered, at room temperature for up to 2 days.
More gluten-free pies and tarts
Gluten-Free Blueberry Lemon Galette
Egg Wash for Pastry
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar or granulated sugar (optional)
- 2 ½ cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- ⅓ cup sugar, or 0-calorie sweetener. Increase to ½ cup if you like a sweeter dessert.
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine almond flour, tapioca flour, salt and cubed butter in a food processor. Pulse until butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- Add egg and honey and continue to pulse until dough comes together. Don't overprocess.
- Turn dough out on to a piece of plastic wrap. Form into a disc 6 - 8 inches in diameter, wrap tightly and and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
Blueberry Lemon Filling
- Toss blueberries with sweetener, lemon zest and juice, finely grated ginger and cornstarch.
- When ready to bake, remove pastry dough from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for a few minutes to soften slightly. Roll out dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Top with another sheet, if necessary, or a sheet of plastic wrap. Roll the dough into a round about 12 inches in diameter, working quickly. If the dough begins to tear or becomes a little sticky, return it to the refrigerator to chill for a few minutes.
- Carefully slide pastry and the bottom layer of parchment paper together on to a baking sheet.
- Mound the blueberry filling into the center of the pastry round, leaving a 2 inch border. Using the parchment paper for support, fold the border up over the fruit, making (rough) pleats as you work around the circle. If it tears, pinch it back together with your fingers.
- Make an egg wash by whisking the egg and water together. Brush on the pastry crust and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 350°F. for 30 - 35 minutes until the crust is a deep golden-brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- Remove from oven, let stand for a 5 to 10 minutes, then carefully slide the parchment with the galette on it to a rack or serving dish to cool completely. Slice and serve. Delicious on its own or with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream!