Help ward off insects naturally with these pretty DIY natural bug repellent luminaries. Your friends will appreciate these non-toxic insect-repellent candles made with essential oils. Add a touch of magic to your next outdoor party!
Read on for easy instructions to create your own non-toxic insect-repellent luminaries in cute little mason jars!
We eat outdoors on our covered deck every day in the summer months. Having morning coffee in the early morning sun is a great way to wake up, and happy hour in the afternoon sun is our time to catch up on the events of our day and to work up an appetite for dinner later on.
But bugs! In my food! I have a particular aversion to flies, and wasps are just plain annoying. We have been very lucky this year and haven't been bothered by many insects at all, but for my last outdoor tapa party, I wanted to be sure our guests would not be swatting bugs. Natural insect repellent luminaries to the rescue!
Ingredients for natural insect repellent luminaries
Here's what you'll need:
- Mason jars: the 8-ounce (1 cup) size works well for this project
- lemon and lime slices
- rosemary sprigs
- essential oils: I've used Thieves oil, lavender, eucalyptus, rosemary and thyme at different times. Your choice!
- floating candles
- Use 8-ounce Mason jars.
- Slice some fresh lemons and limes, pick some fresh rosemary, and select your essential oils.
- Begin with a slice or two of lemon or lime in the bottom of the jar, add the rosemary, fill with water, add the essential oils, then top with an extra slice or two of the citrus fruit.
- Finish up by adding a floating candle on top.
- Light before your guests arrive to help ward off insects and add a magical touch to your table setting.
Natural Bug Repellent Luminaries
- 3 8 oz Mason jars
- 1 lemon, thickly sliced
- 1 lime, thickly sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 30 drops each of rosemary, thyme, eucalyptus, and/or lavender essential oils
- 3 floating tea light candles
- Place a slice or two of lemon and lime in the bottom of the jar.
- Add a sprig of rosemary.
- Fill ¾ full with water.
- Add 10 drops of each of the essential oils to each jar.
- Float another lemon or lime slice on top.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Top with a floating candle.