Help ward off insects naturally with these pretty DIY natural bug repellent luminaries.
We eat outdoors on our covered deck every day. Having morning coffee in the early morning sun is a great way to wake up, happy hour in the afternoon sun is our time to catch up on the events of our day and to work up an appetite for dinner later on.
But bugs! In my food! I have a particular aversion to flies, and wasps are just plain annoying. Mosquitoes don’t care for me, but they adore Denis and flock to him. We have been very lucky this year and haven’t been bothered by many insects at all, but for my last outdoor tapa party, I wanted to be sure our guests would not be swatting bugs. Non-toxic insect repellent luminaries to the rescue!
I found this idea on thesnug.com and adapted it, based on the essential oils I happened to have on hand. I am by no means an expert on the use of essential oils. I used a combination of rosemary, thyme, and eucalyptus in two of the jars and lavender in the other. They smelled heavenly to me, but not to the insects. And they’re pretty!
Easy instructions to assemble these natural bug repellent luminaries.
- I used the 8 ounce size Mason jars.
- Slice some fresh lemons and limes, pick some fresh rosemary, and select some essential oils.
- Begin with a slice or two of lemon or lime in the bottom of the jar, add the rosemary, fill with water, add the essential oils then top with an additional slice or two of the citrus fruit.
- Finish up by adding a floating candle on top.
- Light before your guests arrive to help ward off insects and add a magical touch to your table setting.
VIDEO! Watch for easy instructions.
- 3 8 oz Mason jars
- 1 lemon, thickly sliced
- 1 lime, thickly sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 30 drops each of rosemary, thyme, eucalyptus, and/or lavender essential oils
- 3 floating tea light candles
- Place a slice or two of lemon and lime in the bottom of the jar.
- Add a sprig of rosemary.
- Fill 3/4 full with water.
- Add 10 drops of each of the essential oils to each jar.
- Float another lemon or lime slice on top.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Top with a floating candle.
And here’s an idea for a fun finger food for your next deck or patio party!
Fresh Veggie Zucchini Roll-Ups