Healthy Blueberry Buttermilk Gluten-Free Cornbread Muffins with a sweet surprise of fresh blueberries and corn kernels in every bite! Round out your meal with this savoury gluten-free cornbread.
With fresh blueberries in every bite, these gluten-free Blueberry Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins make a tasty accompaniment to a meal, or a snack to have with morning coffee!
They’re not sweet, but plump blueberries add a sweet surprise and keep these cornmeal muffins moist. Using stone ground cornmeal gives these muffins a satisfying slightly crunchy texture. They’re studded with fresh corn kernels and a hint of fresh thyme, too!
Best of all, these are very quick to whip up and pop in the oven. Comfort food!
Begin by whisking the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.
Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
Gently fold in the blueberries and corn kernels.
Fill 12 paper-lined muffin tins (they will be quite full). Bake in a pre-heated oven for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out almost clean. Cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and remove the paper liners.
That’s it! They rise beautifully.
What if I don’t have buttermilk on hand?
You can easily make your own substitute. Simple stir 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar into 1 cup of milk and let it stand for 5 minutes. And yes, you can use a plant-based milk like almond milk.
When should I serve these Gluten-Free Cornbread Muffins?
Cornbread muffins are a traditional Thanksgiving side dish, but there’s no need to wait! Enjoy them year round with chili, soup, or stew. I like them instead of toast with scrambled eggs in the morning. They’re equally delicious on their own with a cup of coffee (and a pat of butter!)
These muffins will last a few days in an airtight container, but they’re best served warm. You can reheat them in the microwave or the oven just before serving.
Blueberry Buttermilk Gluten-Free Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup cornmeal, stone ground or coarse ground
- 3/4 cup Cup for Cup gluten-free flour blend
- 2 tsp coconut sugar or any granualted sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk * see notes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 cup blueberries* fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 375°F. and line 12 muffin cups with parchment paper liners or culinary paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, gluten-free flour blend, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and thyme. Set aside 2 tablespoons to toss blueberries and corn kernels later.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and whisk in buttermilk and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Toss blueberries and corn kernels with remaining 2 tablespoons cornmeal mixture. Gently fold in corn kernels and blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups. Bake about 18 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out almost clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and remove the paper liners (as they tend to trap moisture).