Mini broccoli cheese muffins make a healthy breakfast snack or a savoury muffin for kids or toddlers. These broccoli cheddar bites are also a perfect addition to a charcuterie or cheese board!
Loaded with fresh broccoli and cheese, these mini muffins will surprise you. It's hard to believe there could be so much flavour in something as ordinary as a muffin. You'd normally find these flavours in a recipe like this Instant Pot Broccoli White Cheddar Soup!
I discovered by accident that these little broccoli cheddar bites are more than just savoury breakfast muffins or healthy snacks. They make a good addition to a charcuterie or cheese board, too. And why shouldn't they: they're made with cheese, veggies (broccoli) and nuts (almond flour), all items you might find on a grazing board.
However, if you're looking for a healthy grab-and-go breakfast, (and you love melted cheese😋) this broccoli cheddar muffin recipe is a good one.
If you'd like, instead of baking them as mini muffins, this recipe will make nine full-size muffins.
And if you don't need them to be gluten-free, you can simply substitute all-purpose flour for almond flour.
Ready to make a batch of easy broccoli cheese muffins? Here's your list of ingredients.
- milk: your choice: plant-based or dairy milk
- butter, melted and cooled
- almond flour: finely ground
- baking powder
- onion powder
- dry mustard
- sea salt
- cheddar cheese: sharp or "old" or "aged" adds the most flavour
- broccoli florets: you'll only be using the raw florets in this recipe. Save the nutritious stalks to add to a broccoli slaw or a stir fry. The stalks are too dense to cook quickly enough to be tender in these mini muffins.
You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card below. This is a simple savoury muffin recipe.
- You'll combine the wet ingredients (egg, milk and melted butter) in a small bowl, and the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking powder, and seasonings) in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir gently until just combined.
- Quickly add the grated cheese and broccoli florets to the batter and fill the muffin cups.
- Bake at 375°F. for 18 minutes for mini muffins and 22-24 minutes for full-sized muffins.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
I use a 24-cavity non-stick muffin tin and line it with paper muffin liners for this recipe. Gluten-free baked goods often stick to the pan, so either grease the muffin tin very well or use liners.
Melt the butter and let it cool before adding to the egg so you don't end up with scrambled eggs!
Cut the broccoli florets into small pieces with a sharp knife. Save the stalks for another use, like stir fry or coleslaw.
A cookie scoop works very well for filling mini muffin tins.
❓Commonly asked questions
I haven't tried this recipe with frozen broccoli, but if you do, I suggest making sure it is very well drained. Press the excess moisture out with a towel or paper towel to avoid having soggy muffins.
No, there's no need to cook the broccoli. You'll be cutting the florets in very fine pieces, so the broccoli will cook as the muffins bake.
Yes, this recipe will make 9 regular-size muffins.
🔁 Possible Variations
If you don't need these to be gluten-free, you can simply substitute all-purpose flour for almond flour.
Change the type of cheese, if you'd like. Try another firm cheese like Gruyére or Swiss, or even Monterey Jack with Jalapeño for a deliciously different flavour.
White cheddar produces muffins that are slightly more pale in colour than those baked with orange cheddar, but they are just as appetizing and snackable!
Spice them up! Add a little heat with a half teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes.
🥶Storage and Reheating Instructions
Store these mini gluten-free broccoli cheese bites in an airtight container in the fridge. They will stay fresh for 4 - 5 days. Freeze in an airtight container lined with a piece of paper towel for up to 3 months.
To reheat, I put a few on a plate, cover with a cloth or a piece of paper towel and gently reheat them in the microwave.
🍽 Serving suggestions
As I mentioned previously, these little baked broccoli cheese bites are ideal for
- healthy snacks
- savoury muffins for toddlers or kids' lunches
- an addition to a grazing or charcuterie board
🗒More savoury recipes you might like
- Mini cheesy cornbread bites
- Blueberry Buttermilk Gluten-Free Cornbread Muffins
- Gluten-free Cheesy Herb Cornbread
- Herbed Gluten-Free Baking Powder Biscuits
If you liked these broccoli cheddar muffins, leave me a comment and let me know how they turned out!
🗒 More gluten-free muffin recipes
📖 Recipe Card
Recipe: Mini Gluten-free Broccoli Cheese Muffins
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk, plant-based or dairy
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups finely ground almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup raw shredded broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 375°F. and line a 24 cup mini muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl and combine with milk and melted butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk almond flour, baking powder, onion powder, dry mustard, and sea salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in broccoli florets and grated cheese.
- Divide batter evenly into a muffin cups and bake for 17 - 19 minutes.