Mini broccoli cheese muffins make a healthy breakfast snack or a savory muffin for kids or toddlers. Keep them gluten-free by using almond flour, or bake them with all-purpose flour! These broccoli cheddar bites are also a perfect addition to a charcuterie or cheese board!
Loaded with fresh broccoli and cheese, these mini broccoli muffins will surprise you. It's hard to believe there could be so much flavour in something as ordinary as a muffin.
You'd normally find these flavours in a recipe like this Instant Pot Broccoli White Cheddar Soup!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- Good for both adults and kids! I discovered by accident that these little broccoli cheddar bites are more than just savoury breakfast muffins or healthy snacks for toddlers! They make a good addition to a charcuterie or cheese board for adults, too. And why shouldn't they? They're made with cheese, veggies (broccoli), and nuts (almond flour), all items you might find on a grazing board.
- Mini or full-sized: If you'd like, instead of baking them as mini muffins, this recipe will make nine full-sized muffins.
- A healthy, grab-and go muffin: If you're looking for a healthy grab-and-go breakfast, (and you love melted cheese😋) this broccoli cheddar muffin recipe is a good one. Try these gluten-free Zucchini Cheddar Muffins, too.
- Gluten-free or not! If you don't need them to be gluten-free, you can simply substitute all-purpose flour for almond flour.
- Protein-rich: These mini muffins are packed with protein from cheese and milk.
- Veggie-rich: Lots of healthy broccoli in every bite!
- ❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- 🛒 Ingredients
- 🔪 Instructions
- 👍🏼 Helpful Tips
- ❓Commonly asked questions
- 🔁 Possible Variations
- 🥶Storage and Reheating Instructions
- 🍽 Serving suggestions
- 🗒More savory recipes you might like
- 🌟 Did you make this broccoli cheese muffin recipe?
- 🗒 More gluten-free recipes for muffins and loaves
- 📖 Recipe
Ready to make a batch of easy broccoli cheese muffins? Here's your list of ingredients.
- egg: one, at room temperature, so it will combine easily
- milk: your choice: plant-based or dairy milk
- butter: melted and cooled
- almond flour: finely ground (or all-purpose flour) (not almond meal)
- baking powder, gluten-free if necessary
- onion powder (or garlic powder)
- dry mustard
- sea salt
- sharp cheddar cheese: Sharp or "old" or "aged" cheddar adds the most flavour.
- broccoli florets: You'll only be using the raw florets in this recipe. Save the nutritious stalks to add to a broccoli slaw, to this Honey-Dijon Broccoli Salad or this Japanese Chicken Stir Fry. The stalks are too dense to cook quickly enough to be tender in these mini muffins.
You'll find complete instructions in the recipe card below. This is a broccoli cheese muffin recipe.
- You'll combine the wet ingredients (egg, milk, and melted butter) in a small bowl, and the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and seasonings) in a large bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir gently until just combined.
- Quickly add the grated cheese and broccoli florets to the batter and fill the muffin cups. You can use a mini muffin tin lined with paper liners or silicone muffin cups.
- Bake at 375°F. for 18 minutes for mini muffins and 22-24 minutes for full-sized muffins.
👍🏼 Helpful Tips
I use a 24-cavity non-stick mini muffin tin and line it with culinary paper muffin liners for this recipe. Gluten-free baked goods often stick to the pan, so either grease the muffin tin very well or use liners.
Melt the butter and let it cool before adding to the egg so you don't end up with scrambled eggs!
A small cookie scoop works very well for filling mini muffin tins. (affiliate links)
❓Commonly asked questions
I haven't tried this recipe with frozen broccoli, but if you do, I suggest making sure it is very well drained. Press the excess moisture out with a towel or paper towel to avoid having soggy muffins.
No, there's no need to cook the broccoli. You'll be cutting the florets in very fine pieces, so the broccoli will cook as the muffins bake.
Yes, this recipe will make 9 regular-size muffins.
🔁 Possible Variations
If you don't need these broccoli muffins to be gluten-free, you can simply substitute all-purpose flour for almond flour.
Change the type of cheese, if you'd like. Try another firm cheese like Gruyére or Swiss, or even Monterey Jack with Jalapeño for a deliciously different flavour.
White cheddar cheese produces muffins that are slightly paler in colour than those baked with orange cheddar, but they are just as appetizing and snackable!
Spice them up! Add a little heat with a half teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes.
🥶Storage and Reheating Instructions
Store these mini gluten-free broccoli cheese bites in an airtight container in the fridge. They will stay fresh for 4 - 5 days. Freeze in an airtight container lined with a piece of paper towel for up to 3 months, or wrap individually in plastic wrap before freezing.
To reheat, put a few on a plate, cover with a cloth or a piece of paper towel and gently reheat them in the microwave.
🍽 Serving suggestions
As I mentioned previously, these little baked broccoli cheese bites are ideal for any time of the day!
- Serve them as a quick breakfast recipe for busy mornings
- They make healthy snacks.
- Savory muffins are great for toddlers' or kids' lunches.
- They make a delicious addition to a grazing or charcuterie board.
- Serve them as a side dish with soup, stew or chowder. I like them with Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup and Instant Pot Minestrone Soup.
🗒More savory recipes you might like
- Blueberry Buttermilk Gluten-Free Cornbread Muffins
- Gluten-free Cheesy Herb Cornbread
- Herbed Gluten-Free Baking Powder Biscuits
🌟 Did you make this broccoli cheese muffin recipe?
If you liked these broccoli cheddar muffins, leave me a comment and a star rating and let me know how they turned out! Thanks in advance! Subscribe to my weekly newsletter and have new recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
🗒 More gluten-free recipes for muffins and loaves
Recipe: Mini Gluten-free Broccoli Cheese Muffins
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk, plant-based or dairy
- ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups almond flour finely ground
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, gluten-free if necessary
- ½ teaspoon onion powder, or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup raw shredded broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 375°F. and line a 24 cup mini muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl and combine with milk and melted and cooled butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk almond flour, baking powder, onion powder, dry mustard, and sea salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in broccoli florets and grated cheese.
- Divide batter evenly into a muffin cups and bake for 17 - 19 minutes.