Here's an easy recipe for gluten-free cheesy herb cornbread, baked in a skillet. Customize it by adding your favourite herbs and cheese!
This gluten-free cheesy herb cornbread makes a perfect addition to a casual meal. It's quick and easy because . . . I "cheat" and use a mix, and then just add my own herbs and cheese and bake it in a cast iron pan.
Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornbread Mix is a favourite of mine because it never fails. Make it dairy-free by using rice milk or almond milk, oil instead of butter, and a sheep's cheese like Pecorino or Manchego instead of a cow's milk cheese like Parmesan Reggiano or cheddar.
Add in your favourite herbs. I used Italian-style herbs like oregano, rosemary, thyme and parsley. Bake it right in a skillet in the oven and savour the hearty tastes of the American South!
I've also added dill to this gluten-free cornbread on other occasions to accompany a salmon dinner. Get creative and mix in YOUR favourite additions to this easy mix.
Cornbread muffins are fun to bake, too. These Blueberry Buttermilk Gluten-Free Cornbread Muffins are a favourite for Thanksgiving or any fall morning!
Gluten-free Cheesy Herb Cornbread
- 1 ½ cups rice milk or almond milk
- ⅓ cup oil or melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 pkg Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornbread Mix
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs such as oregano, rosemary, parsley, thyme
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan or Cheddar cheese, or try Manchego or Pecorino for dairy-free
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease a 9-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Put the cornbread mix in a large bowl.
- Add milk (of your choice), eggs, and oil OR butter. Mix on low speed with electric mixer until blended. Beat 30 seconds more on high.
- Fold in shredded cheese and chopped herbs.
- Spread in skillet and bake 25 minutes or until nicely browned. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness.
- Cool, cut in wedges and serve.