Here’s an easy recipe for gluten-free cheesy herb cornbread, baked in a skillet. Customize it by adding your favourite herbs and cheese!
This gluten-free cheesy herb cornbread makes a perfect addition to a casual meal. It’s quick and easy because . . . I “cheat” and use a mix, and then just add my own herbs and cheese and bake it in a cast iron pan.
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornbread Mix is a favourite of mine because it never fails. Make it dairy-free by using rice milk or almond milk, oil instead of butter, and a sheep’s cheese like Pecorino or Manchego instead of a cow’s milk cheese like Parmesan Reggiano or cheddar.
Add in your favourite herbs. I used Italian style herbs like oregano, rosemary, thyme and parsley. Bake it right in a skillet in the oven and savour the hearty tastes of the American South!
I’ve also added dill to this gluten-free cornbread on other occasions to accompany a salmon dinner, and I’ve made it into mini muffins spiked with jalapeño with this recipe for Mini Cheesy Cornbread Bites. Get creative and mix in YOUR favourite additions to this easy mix.
Cornbread muffins are fun to bake, too. These Blueberry Buttermilk Gluten-Free Cornbread Muffins are a favourite for Thanksgiving or any fall morning!
Gluten-free Cheesy Herb Cornbread
- 1 1/2 cups rice milk or almond milk
- 1/3 cup oil or melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 pkg Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornbread Mix
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs such as, oregano, rosemary, parsley, thyme
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan or Cheddar cheese,, or try Manchego or Pecorino for dairy-free
- Have all ingredients at room temperature. Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease a 9-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Put the cornbread mix in a large bowl.
- Add milk (of your choice), eggs, and oil OR butter. Mix on low speed with electric mixer until blended. Beat 30 seconds more on high.
- Fold in shredded cheese and chopped herbs.
- Spread in skillet and bake 25 minutes or until nicely browned. Insert a toothpick to check for doneness.
- Cool, cut in wedges and serve.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.