This tender oven-roasted Chili Garlic Butternut Squash is tossed with an orange juice glaze richly flavoured with chili, garlic and thyme. Paleo and vegan.
What could be more welcome after a walk in the woods on a sunny fall day than a warm home-cooked meal? One with this Chili Garlic Butternut Squash as a side dish, that's what! And that's what I made today after a hike by the river.
Butternut squash has a mild flavour so it needs to be paired with strong-flavoured ingredients. Some recipes combine it with sharp cheeses like Parmesan or Asiago. Others add pesto. Roasting it with maple syrup and Dijon mustard as in this Maple-Dijon Roasted Butternut Squash is delicious, too.
Today, however, I chose to add chili and garlic and add a little crunch with some sesame seeds. Once roasted, the squash becomes slightly caramelized and the glaze makes the edges a little crispy. Chili and garlic add lots of robust flavour!
How to Roast Chili Lime Butternut Squash
Heat the oven to 400°F. Heat an empty baking sheet in the pre-heated oven. Heating the baking sheet helps to sear the squash and make crispy edges.
Cut a squash in half, remove seeds and cut into slices 1/2 inch thick.
In a large bowl, whisk the oil, orange juice, sugar, and apple cider vinegar. Add the squash, peppers, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
Spread the squash in a single layer, spaced so the pieces are not touching each other. (If you crowd them, they will cook in their own steam and won't be as crispy.) Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Roast in oven for 40 minutes, turning after 20 minutes, until squash is tender and edges are caramelized and sesame seeds are toasted.
Note: if you decide to cut the squash in smaller slices or cubes, it will take less time to cook. Check at 20 minutes.
Serve it hot, sprinkled with a few more fresh thyme leaves and enjoy the flavours of the season during these beautiful fall days.
This Chili Garlic Butternut Squash recipe makes an ideal Thanksgiving side dish too! We'll be serving it along with these Crispy Lemon Oven-Roasted Potatoes, a family fave!
Chili Garlic Glazed Butternut Squash
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/3 cup juice from 1 large orange
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 large butternut squash, (or 1 small) halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced 1/2 thick
- 1/2 tsp habanero pepper, finely minced OR 2 dried crushed red chilis
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- leaves from 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme, plus a little extra for garnish
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, orange juice, sugar, and apple cider vinegar. Add the squash, peppers, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Spread the squash in a single layer, spaced so the pieces are not touching each other. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Roast in oven for 40 minutes, turning after 20 minutes, until squash is tender and edges are caramelized and sesame seeds are toasted.
- Serve hot with a sprinkling of thyme.
More yummy Roasted Butternut Squash recipes
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.