These Lemon Oven-Roasted Potatoes are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and have the bright flavour of fresh lemons. This recipe makes a quick and easy side dish. This recipe includes suggestions for possible flavour additions to make the best roasted potatoes!
Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. That is how an oven-roasted potato should be! These crispy Lemon Oven-Roasted Potatoes have all that and more--the bright flavour of fresh lemons.
We often find each other sneaking the potatoes with the crispiest edges straight from the baking sheet! They're just that good.
When it's the season for specialty citrus produce, I take full advantage of specialty oranges and lemons to use in Grapefruit-Orange Avocado Salad, Paleo Lemon Curd, this Meyer Lemon Mini Parfait, and even in this Chocolate-Orange Almond Bark. I like to use Meyer lemons in this potato recipe.
Who could have imagined that oven-roasted potatoes could be so good just by adding a little lemon juice?
potatoes: What type of potatoes are best for roasting? I like to use Yukon Gold. They have a perfect balance of starchiness to waxiness. When roasted, they keep their cream, buttery interior. They develop a good caramelization on the outside which gives those crispy edges we all love.
olive oil: extra virgin
coarse salt and pepper
lemons: If you can find Meyer lemons, they will give these roasted potatoes an amazing flavour, but regular lemons will work beautifully, too. We can usually only find Meyer lemons in the late winter or early spring, but I make these oven-roasted potatoes year round and often use regular lemons.
What are Meyer lemons?
Meyer lemons are a specialty lemon. They're slightly smaller than a regular lemon. They're sometimes regarded as a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. Their skin is often smoother than a regular lemon. They can be a little sweeter and their zest has floral tones. Read more about the difference between the two in What’s the Difference Between Meyer Lemons and Regular Lemons?
These oven-baked potatoes make a fast and easy addition to dinner. They're the easiest gourmet potatoes you'll ever make. Just scrub and chop, toss with a little oil, Meyer (or regular) lemon juice, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, then roast in the oven.
- Heat an empty baking sheet in the oven.
- Toss the potatoes with oil and seasonings, then arrange on the hot baking sheet so they are not touching each other.
- Roast, turning half way through the cooking time, using a thin fish flipper to turn the potatoes.
- Serve while hot, garnished with fresh rosemary and extra sea salt and pepper, if desired.
Add herbs: These oven-baked potatoes are particularly delicious with rosemary. I often make them with a mixture of Mediterranean herbs, like oregano, thyme, rosemary and parsley.
Add garlic: Finely grate or mince a clove or two of garlic and toss with the potatoes before roasting. In a hurry? Sprinkle with a little garlic salt.
Add paprika: Paprika add a warm colour and lots of extra flavour.
Toss with Cajun seasoning: Use my homemade Cajun seasoning mix recipe to add lots of spicy flavour, colour and interest to roasted potatoes!
🍽 Serving suggestions
How to store leftovers
Cool any leftover potatoes completely, then cover and refrigerate. To reheat, I've found the best way is to basically roast them again. Toss with a little olive oil, and roast at 400°F. to 450°F. for 5 to 10 minutes or until warmed through. Reheating them in a microwave usually results in mushy potatoes.
🥔 More tasty potato recipes you'll love
If you like crispy roasted potatoes, you'll love these Crispy Grilled Potatoes with Blue Cheese in Foil! They're crispy, they've been grilled, they're smothered in melted blue cheese and they have added flavour from fresh herbs and crunchy little bacon bits.
Try these Grilled Lemon Garlic Potato Kabobs on your barbecue. Hot off the grill, they're crisp on the outside, soft and tender inside. These skewered potatoes and shallots, grilled with lemon and garlic, round out a casual dinner at any time of year.
Crispy Lemon Oven-Roasted Potatoes
- 2 lbs baby potatoes, or small potatoes halved or quartered Yukon Gold work well
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tbsp Meyer lemon juice, freshly squeezed, or regular lemon juice
- coarse sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Meyer lemon sliced, or regular lemon
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with lightly oiled aluminum foil, if desired, and heat the baking sheet in the oven for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Scrub the potatoes, chop into bite-sized pieces and pat dry. Place in a large bowl.
- Whisk the oil and lemon juice together, then drizzle over the potatoes and toss until very well-coated.
- Spread out potatoes on baking sheet so they are not touching each other.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once or twice until crispy on the outside and tender when pricked with a fork.
- Meanwhile, lay lemon slices on a grill and cook until slightly caramelized and golden brown, about 5 minutes, flipping once. Use as a garnish for the potatoes.
- Serve immediately.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on any of the affiliate links and make a purchase within a certain time frame, I’ll receive a small commission. The commission is paid by the third party, not by you. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. It’s an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.