This Creamy Cannellini Lemon Feta Dip is an easy appetizer for holiday parties or casual get-togethers. Made with cannellini beans, it is similar to hummus but made without chickpeas. Serve with veggies or pita chips.
What’s that? you ask. This Creamy Cannellini Lemon Feta Dip is a fancy name for White Bean Dip. Basically, it’s the Italian version of hummus. If you’re like me, and not a fan of chickpeas, white beans (or cannellini as they’re called by Italians) are an ideal alternative. But this appetizer is so much more than just plain white bean dip!
It has hints of lemon and garlic and a subtle salty flavour from feta cheese. I drizzled the top with a lemon-infused olive oil for some extra flavour, but that’s certainly optional if you don’t have any on hand. If you love those gourmet infused olive oils as much as I do, you might want to try a rosemary infused oil on this one, too.
Isn’t this Cannellini Lemon Feta Dip a perfect appetizer for either a summer or winter party?
Let me answer that (yes) and tell you five reasons why.
- it’s delicious!
- it’s nutritious
- it’s something your gluten-free guests can eat
- you can dress it up and make it look festive with seasonal colours or herbs
- you can make it ahead of time
When I’m hosting a dinner or a party, I’m always on the lookout for dishes that I can make ahead of time. I like to relax and spend time with my friends, instead of being stuck in the kitchen. This Creamy Cannellini Lemon Feta Dip is a perfect candidate for a make-ahead dish, as it is actually better the second day, once the flavours have blended.
Serve in individual tiny cups or in a bowl. Garnish with finely chopped herbs or a little grated lemon zest. This white bean dip is a definite crowd-pleaser, and if you offer veggies with it, you’ll make your gluten-free friends happy, too.
Creamy Cannellini Lemon Feta Dip
- 1 14 oz can (398 ml) white beans or cannellini beans,, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic,, peeled
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves, pomegranate arils, or fresh herbs for garnish
- Put all ingredients except 1 tablespoon olive oil in a food processor and blend until very smooth and creamy. *Note: this dip is too thick for a high-speed blender.
- Transfer to a shallow serving bowl and garnish with pomegranate arils and chopped parsley. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Serve with raw vegetable sticks, pita bread triangles, or your favourite crackers.
Here’s another fresh veggie idea you might like!
Looking for other dip ideas?