This gluten-free skillet cornbread is bursting with fresh garden veggies.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This skillet cornbread is chock full of fresh garden vegetables and is a perfect accompaniment to an end-of-summer meal. It’s gluten-free too!
It’s such a shame that we can’t bottle September. Cool, crisp mornings, warm and sunny afternoons, and shorter evenings that remind us that fall is just around the corner are all times to savour. It’s also time to savour those last bites of summer. Sink your teeth into juicy peaches, sweet corn, and succulent tomatoes. Snack on sun-warmed roadside blackberries and those crisp first apples of the season.
It’s time to invite your friends and family over for the last hurrah. Fire up the grill, pour a glass of wine or sangria and celebrate what a fabulous summer this has been. We did just that recently, and our evening was filled with great conversation, good food, lots of laughter . . . and this skillet cornbread.
Fresh is always best, and that holds true with this bread. Start with an ear of fresh corn. I’ve found the easiest way to remove the kernels is to stand a husked cob upright in the centre of a bundt or angel food cake pan. Angle your knife away from the cob and with a few quick strokes you’ll have the kernels removed and cleverly collected in the pan.
Summer's Last Call--Harvest Time Skillet Cornbread
- 1/2 cup butter plus 1 tbsp for oiling the pan
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely minced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup grated Manchego cheese or other cheese of your choice
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, cubed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place an 8-inch cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat.
- Combine the butter, milk, cornmeal and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a slow, steady simmer and whisk for a few minutes until thickened.
- Add eggs, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and whisk lightly. Add cornmeal mixture and stir until well combined.
- Swirl 1 Tbsp. butter in the pre-heated skillet and pour in the batter. Gently stir in the cheese, corn kernels and peppers. Top with the tomatoes and red onions.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cornbread is golden around the edges and cooked through. Watch carefully. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.