A tasty twist on a classic Cobb Salad. This meal in a bowl recipe includes tips for cooking bacon without a mess and for taking the frustration out of peeling hard-boiled eggs! Keto-diet friendly.
This Lemon Garlic Shrimp Cobb Salad recipe is my twist on a classic Cobb Salad. It’s a complete meal in a salad with a light, creamy avocado dressing.
Cobb Salad has been a popular restaurant item in North America for decades. It’s traditionally made with grilled chicken breast, bacon, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, lettuce, blue cheese and avocado.
If you’ve ever ordered one, you may remember that it’s very filling, and if you’re like me, you’ve given up trying to finish it and asked to take half of it home with you.
If I’m eating filling foods like bacon, eggs, cheese and avocado, there’s no way I can eat a chicken breast, as well! Substituting a few large shrimp for the chicken breast make this Lemon Garlic Shrimp Cobb Salad a little lighter.
While this seafood Cobb Salad is not a low-calorie meal, it is rich in protein and it’s appropriate for a ketogenic diet. If you want a lighter version of a Cobb Salad, this Family Style Greek Cobb Salad may be just what you’re looking for.
Tips for making Lemon Garlic Shrimp Cobb Salad
- I like to serve Cobb Salads on a large platter and let everyone serve themselves.
- Fresh ingredients look appetizing when displayed in rows. Give some thought to arranging them with contrasting colours and textures before you begin. For example, break up the white cheese and the white eggs by adding tomatoes in between.
- Start by blending the dressing ingredients. Next cook the eggs, cool and peel them. Then, cook the bacon, drain, pat dry with paper towels, chop in bite-sized pieces and set aside. Line a large platter with chopped romaine or other crisp greens. Arrange rows of crumbled blue cheese, cherry tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes) sliced hard-boiled eggs, and bacon.
- Quickly cook the shrimp with a little garlic, lemon and white wine, and arrange in a row. And lastly, just before serving, slice an avocado into very thin slices and add to the platter. Drizzle it with a little lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Offer Creamy Avocado Dressing on the side and serve!
Good luck! Let me know in the comments what method works best for you.
Lemon Garlic Shrimp Cobb Salad
- 8 slices bacon thick cut, nitrate-free
- 4 eggs hard-boiled
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 6 cups romaine chopped
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced very thinly
Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- 16 large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 3 tbsp garlic finely minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 tsp chili flakes
Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 3/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare Creamy Avocado Dressing. In a blender, combine avocado, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. Gradually add olive oil and blend until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving vessel and cover with plastic wrap.
- Prepare the hard-boiled eggs. Place the eggs in a small saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let sit in the water for 12 minutes. Transfer to a bowl filled with ice water. Cool completely, then peel.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, place a baking rack on top and lay the strips of bacon on the rack. Cook for 10 - 15 minutes, turning once part way through or until bacon is crispy. Remove from oven and pat dry with paper towel to remove excess fat. Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- To prepare Lemon Garlic Shrimp, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp butter. When melted, add 3 tbsp minced garlic. When translucent, add shrimp. Toss with 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp white wine and 1 tsp. dried chili flakes. Cook shrimp for 2 minutes, turn and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes or just until they are no longer translucent. Remove from heat. Garnish with lemon zest.
- Chop romaine leaves and arrange on a large serving platter (or in individual bowls.) Make rows of crumbled blue cheese, cherry tomatoes, sliced hard-boiled eggs, chopped bacon pieces and Lemon Garlic Shrimp. Add avocado slices and sprinkle with a squeeze of lemon juice to prevent browning.